• -

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am actively looking for a replacement sled for the trusty old ZR. She has rolled over the 11,000 mile mark and is starting to show her age.
I really want a 03-04 Sabercat 700EFI or same years ZR900, but with the ridiculous cost of gas I am considering doing something I never thought I would do - jump ship.

If I put my normal 2,500-3,000 miles a season the above sleds will probably cost me $1,100 -1,200.00 in fuel. An Apex, Vector, or maybe even doo SDI motor sled would probably drop that fuel bill to $500 - 600.00.

So my question, what do you ride, and what do you get for mileage?

Also, what is your riding style and how does your sled ride?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I voted 10-12. I was hoping for better, but it just ain't gonna happen.

I've got bad news for you though. The Apex is not going to cut your feul budget in half. It will be a little better on gas, even if you drive it like you do your ZR, but probably 25% better. Even if it was 50% better (which it won't be) you'd only save $250-300 over a typical season. To get the savings you're looking for it would have to be 100% better. To get that you'd have to go with something like a 660, non-turbo.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When I had my Warrior it really depended on how I rode. I had gotten over 20 mpg just cruising, running hard and chasing my Rev buddies on the tight trails it was lower. However it was about 25% better then them when riding in the same conditions. We would stop and fuel up together and for example they would take $20.00 to top off their tanks and I could top off for $12-$15. That was the year before last when gas was about a dollar per gallon cheaper. I know on the long runs when they would be hitting empty I still had 1/4 tank.
They rode 04 600HO and an 04 800 X package gade.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
My 600sdi was very good. 17 at the worst, and 21 at the best. Typical average was 18-19 and I ride fairly hard and fast.

Not sure what my 800R is going to be, but I hope its close.

FishHog

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an 06 800. When I am trail riding I get mid to upper teens.

When pushing it, it seems to be average with other sleds. All sleds need fuel to make power. When carbs (or throttle bodies) are all the way open the fuel flows through them pretty quick.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
I'm not exactly sure but 15 mpg seems logical to me. I ride a 2007 Z570LX Arctic Cat.

Richard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ya' know, I am honestly afraid to check. I have an '89 Indy 500 (488 fuji) -- anyone know about what they're supposed to get for mileage? I am sort of curious. I sometimes wish I had the larger tanks that the new ones have. I was looking at an '01 600xc with VES -- how good are they with the petrol?

Not so patiently waiting for snow..... :whatever:

Classic

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Ya' know, I am honestly afraid to check. I have an '89 Indy 500 (488 fuji) -- anyone know about what they're supposed to get for mileage? I am sort of curious. I sometimes wish I had the larger tanks that the new ones have. I was looking at an '01 600xc with VES -- how good are they with the petrol?

Classic[/b]
Those old Fuji's were nothing to brag about when it came to fuel milage. So much depends on how you drive it, though, that it's hard to make a guess at what you should be getting. Probably 10-14mpg.
The xc won't do any better, and if you drive it hard, maybe even worse.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I voted 10-12. I was hoping for better, but it just ain't gonna happen.

I've got bad news for you though. The Apex is not going to cut your feul budget in half. It will be a little better on gas, even if you drive it like you do your ZR, but probably 25% better. Even if it was 50% better (which it won't be) you'd only save $250-300 over a typical season. To get the savings you're looking for it would have to be 100% better. To get that you'd have to go with something like a 660, non-turbo.[/b]
Here was my 3 in the mornin logic.

If my zr got 9 - 10 mpg over 3000 miles thats,
300 gallons = 3000 / 10
IF the new Yammi's or SDI motors really were getting 18-20 thats,
150 gallons = 3000 / 20

300 gallons at $3.50 per = $1050.00
150 gallons at $3.50 per = $525.00

I know it is fuzzy logic and not exactly science, but that is what my brain does after a 15 hour work day.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Here was my 3 in the mornin logic.

If my zr got 9 - 10 mpg over 3000 miles thats,
300 gallons = 3000 / 10
IF the new Yammi's or SDI motors really were getting 18-20 thats,
150 gallons = 3000 / 20

300 gallons at $3.50 per = $1050.00
150 gallons at $3.50 per = $525.00

I know it is fuzzy logic and not exactly science, but that is what my brain does after a 15 hour work day.[/b]
Not so fuzzy really. A jump from 10 mpg to 20 mpg is a 100% better, and would cut your feul bill by 50%. I guess I just have a hard time believing they can go twice as far on a gallom of gas. Real world expirience hasn't shown that. As I've said elsewhere, I ride with alot of Yamaha four strokes.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Newf, I guess that is one of the things I was most wondering about. Do the 4 strokes and SDI's get the mileage they claim or are they just blowing smoke.

I don't ride with anyone with a 4 and the only doo in our group rides a formula 500 that gets about 14 m.p.g.
I got about 9-11 on my ZR600 and my brothers ZR800 got about 11-12.
I have heard about the same for the ZR900 and the F7 - they are in the 11-12 m.p.g. range.

If I can greatly improve my mileage - I may consider a monumental change. If it is a difference of a mile or two per gallon - it is not gonna happen.

I gotta say that I am worried about some of the 4 strokes for the weight. I am not getting any younger (40 is slowly approaching) but I still tend to ride my sleds pretty hard, the bumpier the faster. And we tend to do some big mile days (many 250-300+) and I am thinking that the weight of the 4 strokes is going to wear on me.
I am also looking for some creature comforts that I didn't think were important in my younger days, like electric start and reverse, thus why I was seriously looking at the Sabercat 700.

Anyway, just looking for some input before I plunk down any money on a newer ride. I thought a poll might be a good way to do a comparison.

Thanks for all the input guys,

Later,

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can get around 20 +++ if I just cruise at a low speed 15mph, but in the real world I don't ride like that. My 4 stroke usually gets about 16 -19mpg....That's 50-70 kph on trails to lakes..I see a big difference in the gas between me and the guys I ride with, it certainly adds up over a winter of riding, then you add oil into that and the savings add up more...The SDI 600 is a very efficient motor too...Versatileman if you get the chance try a 4 stroke you don't feel the weight of it on the trails or lakes..It's when you start too Boondock with it and try throwing it around in the deep stuff that you will feel the extra weight.. The first time you ride with a big twin 2 stroke and have to fill up, you will see the difference, it's not huge but it adds up quickly.......

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
On my '04 Legend w/ the 600 SDI I got 20-21 miles per imperial gallon.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Real world mileage for my 05 SDI is around 14mph when hard boondocking. Hard trail riding gets me 15-17 and cruising with a larger group at consistent speeds has netted me 20mph one time :whatever: I am very happy with these numbers as one of the guys we ride with has an 04 Switchback and rides the same conditions but uses almost double the fuel.

I'll never forget the first trip I ever took on my SDI Gade, we were boondocking hard with my buddies 04 Switchback and my brothers SDI gade. The Switchback ran out of fuel a few miles from the gas station so we towed him in. The Polaris took a full tank (11 gallons I think), my gade took 6.5 gallons and my brothers took just under 6, I was sold from that point on :thumbsup:

·
Registered
644 Posts

Classic[/b]

I used to run those old 488s all the time. With the small tank I could predictably run dry at 105 miles give or take only a couple. I did that enough times to see a distinct pattern. On a full fill-up, I think that comes out at around 13 mpg.

I wish I could honestly vote higher - and would have if I was going by the posted tank volume. However, knowing what actually goes into the tank and how many miles come out, I voted the more honest 10-12 mpg. My 550 AC Panther did run closer to a true 14 mpg when it was newer but that seems to be the exception among our fleet.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Real world mileage for my 05 SDI is around 14mph when hard boondocking. Hard trail riding gets me 15-17 and cruising with a larger group at consistent speeds has netted me 20mph one time :whatever: I am very happy with these numbers as one of the guys we ride with has an 04 Switchback and rides the same conditions but uses almost double the fuel.

I'll never forget the first trip I ever took on my SDI Gade, we were boondocking hard with my buddies 04 Switchback and my brothers SDI gade. The Switchback ran out of fuel a few miles from the gas station so we towed him in. The Polaris took a full tank (11 gallons I think), my gade took 6.5 gallons and my brothers took just under 6, I was sold from that point on :thumbsup:[/b]
This reflects what I've seen in real life too. Under normal (for me) riding conditions I typically see 9-11 mpg (Can, which would be less American). In ideal conditions, which I don't see very often, I might see 12-15. I don't know why, but with any sled I've ever owned, I always get worse milge then anyone else who owes the same sled as me. Not proud of that at all, it rather sucks, but that's what I've found.
In short, if you want good fuel milage, drive like an old lady, what ever you ride. It will save you a ton of money.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ride a 03 ZL 600. I don't know my milage but I would say mid teen's. I also ride with a budy with a 03 F7(pushing 5K) and it was lower milage than my ZL. A diffrent budy has a 05 Saber Cat and his is about the same as mine. IF we ride off trail the F7 and Saber cat get a LOT better milage and would pull ahead with out a problem. So I guess it's where you ride.

As far as the ride, I know I thougth I'd like it till I rode them both. The F7 seemed nose heavy in the hill's. The saber cat just seem to have a soft ride. I don't know if it's just the way they had there's setup,but it tunred me off. Up to that point I had thought about buying one. .....just my 2 cent's.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I hate how some calculate gas mileage

I know some do it the correct way yet other seem to pull numbers out of the air

I calculate my mileage by miles per tank(13gal)

I get on average 140miles per tank(30-70mph range,lake/trail)

Yes there are times I get 100miles per tank(playing in the deep snow or drag racing on lake) yet other times I get over 150miles per tank

I watch my gas mileage all the time and know how far I can get with a full tank-1/2tank etc

I also keep it in a certain RPM range when I am cruising

best MPG I got was 17mpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts