Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK its crunch time. Your Joe Blow average with a wife, 2.1 kids,dog, mortgage, car payments and all the rest, how much more will sled prices have to increase before its no longer affordable for you?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
put it this way i would part with everything and move back in with the folks to keep riding.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That is a good question..  

I would suppose that for most of us we can't afford it now.. At least not in the fashion that we wish..

$8000.00 for a sled is alot of money and hard to justify..   Our wages are not increasing at the same rate as these sled prices either..

·
Registered
720 Posts
When it comes time to upgrade the SX, I'll buy a 1 or 2 year old used model.   I can save thousands and have a modded sled right out fo the gate.

New sleds are way too much $$ for my taste.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We buy new warranty covered sleds cause we got sick of throwing money at them and not being ready to ride when the snow came.If your engine blows and you have no warranty it will cost thousands to be back on your ride. I guess I look at it as an insurance policy.It is nice to have a 2 yr warranty now tho.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Buy a Yamaha and forget about throwing money at it LadyK!  I got tired of my buds making fun of me working on my mach while they were ready to ride....................

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Look at it like this, at Spicers they have this:

2003 XC600SP Reverse (not ProX), $7299

2002 XC600SP (new) $5599

Both sleds spec the same, other than the color and the reverse. Same warrenty, same ride, same susp, Nothing really has changed, but paying $1600 more for the same sled is out of this world. I snow checked my 800, but that was the only way to get one and I needed a new sled.

I also saw this this year:

2002 MachZ RER SC10II, $5999

2003 MachZ will be going for at least $8000 this year

That 2002 Machprice is the best deal I have heard of in a long time for a new sled. They list for $9700! You could buy it, ride it a year, and still sell it for what you paid for it. Heck, trade in value (kelly blue book) is $5495, and retail is $7495.

I see myself getting a new sled, next year, a REV600HO, 2001 left over.

Deals are out there, yo just have to search for them. The best time to buy, is in Feb. You can buy this years sled dirt cheap at a big dealership like Spicers, cause they don't want to pay tax and interest on them sleds any more than they have to.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I am true to my brand as you all know,and if I bought a yamaha I would'nt be able to keep up with the boys.

800mxz- permafrost bought my 500 that way.He bought it in March, and got a great deal on it.I couldnt ride untill the following winter tho as I just had a baby at the time.Too sore to ride and too hard to breastfeed trailside

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Spicers has such a good price because they made a large volume buy.  They bought all of the left over MachZ's Doo had.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I heard that a couple of years ago Ski-Doo offered a ton of sleds to Spicers for very low bucks and that caused a sale that made many customers upset with their local dealers.  It caused such commotion that some smaller dealers decided to drop Ski-Doo.  (I think I heard this on a message board a few years ago.)

Anyway, they do get good deals on volume, but if it's only a couple hundred bucks, I'd rather stick with a dealer closer to my house for the convinience.

I think there's a lot of fun to be had with a smaller displacement twin as long as it's recent enough not to give you many problems.  If your riding with a family the thought of having a pair of smaller sleds is preferable to some tweaked out $8,000 "sled of the moment".  But it's all a matter of family values and bucks.  Being single I go with the big buck sleds for more sizzle.

That big once a month snowmobile auction seems to have good deals on used sleds from time to time.  They even have new ones (last years models) from time to time from dealers.  It's a buyers market.

Greg

·
Registered
708 Posts
The problem I see is that the MFG's are making more technically advanced sleds, which the government and consumers are demanding. This fact alone is making the price go up. the good news is most of the new sleds are lasting much longer than even a few years ago. This is good for the average guy because his money goes farther. If a person spends 6000 on a new sled this year and keeps it for 4 years it will only cost him 1500 per year. In years past most sleds would only be reliable for 2-3 years and cost more to operate each year. What would really be nice would be if they leased sleds!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
they do lease sleds.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Prices! That's exactly why I bought my first ever used sled in 30 years! $8000.00 is crazy! My god I can buy a real nice used car or truck for that. I love sledding but when is it going to slow down, if I cant pay cash for a sled, it doesn't get bought plain and simple.
My first new sled was $700.00. My second new sled was $1500.00 and I about loaded my pants handing over twice the amount I payed a year before, of course that was going from a GP 292 to a 433 GPX.

Now tell me if this isnt a good deal: In fall of 98 I bought a 97 Mach1 from a guy that never rode it, 0 miles.This is what came with it: 240 studs [installed] Doo cover-Doo helmet-Doo suit-helmet bag and suit bag all for $6000.00!
My latest sled is a 00 formulalll 800 with stock triple pipes, had a 192 studded track-Doo cover-all updates to Z specs-everything needed to change back to single pipe [but why] and had 1500 miles when I bought it last fall. All this for $5000.00 So my point to all this is, why buy new with deals like this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts