Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Indy 440 that is giving me some problems. What happens is when the sled is being driven at slow speeds it seems to jump forward. It feels like the track is catching and then slipping. I have checked the track and it seems to be tight enough. I also looked at the wheels that drive the track (not sure what these are called) they seem to be all there and not missing any notches. This happened last year when I got stuck in a ditch and a rock was wedged inside the track towards the front. I put a newer track with only 500 miles on it and picks in it this year. At that time nothing looked bent or broken. Does any one have any ideas what to look at or where to start to fix this problem? Could the track be to loose or tight? How would you tell if it was? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I would forget about the track and check the drive belt and clutches. Look for a worn spot on the belt and/or possibly check your clutches to make sure everything is in line and in proper working order.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That is what I would be looking for is a burn mark in the belt. It doesnt take much to burn a belt and sometimes you cant see the damage.  If you dont know what the track tention is than Run it as loose as possible. keep loosening the track and drive the sled untill it ratchets, then tighten up just enough to get rid of the ratcheting. The looser you run the track the less friction the faster you will go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rocketman, sled-head thanks for the info! I will look at the clutches and belt to see if there are any wear or burn marks. Thanks for the help it should make life a little eaiser working on it this weekend.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would also check your chain and gears , and you said that a rock got jamed in between the track and tunel .... I would also check your track drive shaft see if it's bent or if the cogs are damaged . well good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I found out the problem. It turned out to be the belt. It was grooved and a chunk of the cog was missing. I still can't believe I didn't check the belt. Thanks for all the help. It is nice to have a place to look for help.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Thank you! Thank you! As you know...I am the Supreme High Lord of Snowmobiling...I knew what was wrong before he posted the problem....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts