Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone, hopefully someone from a dealership would know something about this topic.

If a sled is recalled for a particular problem and the manufacturer states that there is no cost for the replacement does that carry over if the sled is sold?

I have had issues like this in the past with Motorcycles and I just want to confirm.

I have been looking at a couple of different sleds of the same model but they have a recall for piston problems on the machine.  I don't want to buy something that hasn't had the update if I will have to pay for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
It has always been my understanding that records are kept of what recall updates have been done to what sleds via serial number, and it doesn't matter if you're the first owner or the 50th.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i always thought, that if you sold your sled to someone else the warranty was no good unless it was sold through a dealer.  maybe not, im not quite sure.  but those recalls have experation dates on em, so make sure to get it fixed before it runs out, i just found that out from my dealer, got a 01 mxz 600, bringing it in next week, well the recall ended march 14, 2002, so even if you have a warranty you still have to pay for it.  but thankfully they let it slide.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
That's new to me. In the automotive world, safety recalls follow the vehicle. In Canada contact Transport Canada about recall issues. In the Toronto Star's Wheels section, I have seen snowmobiles listed. The government should fill you in.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i thought that was kinda bull too.

·
Registered
752 Posts
When I bought my sled last year it still had warranty on it . I went to the Polaris dealer and asked about changing it over and it was something like $ 20 or $ 25 to do the transphere and the remaining warranty would be mine. As for recalls it shouldn't matter who owns the sled if it is a safety issue it has to be fixed.

·
Registered
959 Posts
does anyone know where the list of recalled sleds would be? if there is such a list

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sure,just go to the top of this page and click on Recalls/Bulletins...
..sorry mcali...didn't see your post..I'm still having some problems with this site.

·
Registered
660 Posts
dpaige,

From my understanding of the recall clause, it applies stickly to safety items - not performance items.

For example, if your sled has been found to be unsafe due to premature brake hydraulic hose failure, and the company puts out a service bulletin, then it does not matter who owns the sled. It will be repaired free of charge regardless of warrenty. This only makes sence because no company in there right mind would want to face a liability suit for it's products.

On the other hand, it has happened in the past that companies find better jetting/clutching combos and makes a public anouncement. These do expire. This also makes sence when you think of it. If you buy a sled that has 10000 miles on it and go to the dealer for a new clutch sping, it was probably due to be changed anyways. Plus there is no safety reason for better performance. Why sould the dealer incure a cost to replace a spring that needed changing anyway?

so to sun it all up,

Safety - will be repaired regardless of age/owner etc.

Performance - will be done free of charge to primary owner within reasonable time frame.

This problem with the pistons you are refering to, Is there a posibility that the engine can lock-up and send the operator of the vehicle off the trails and cause serious injury - that would classify as a safety recall.

Or is the problem sinply a performance update, such as cyramic coating - that would be classified as a performance upgrade and dealers are not obliged to do this free of charge.

just my 2 cents - this is my understanding of that clause, I suppose others can have a different interpritation of the law.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
madsledhead, good explanation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
sledcrazy,
Your 01 600 doesn't have any recalls on it, just bulletins. A manufacturer doesn't have to inform you or cover under warranty any repairs that apply under a bulletin. They can, but they don't have to. A recall on the other hand, is government regulated and usually related to safety or non compliance issues. They must be covered under warranty and every effort must be made to locate and notify the current owner of the vehicle no matter who sold it. I hope this clarifies the topic somewhat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
dpaige,
The piston failure on 2001 800 twins is a recall, thus there should be no charge to have this repair done. Any Ski-Doo dealer should be able to tell you if the recall has been done. All they need is the serial number of the sled so they can call it in to Bombardier. I've had it done to mine and had no performance change one way or the other (Verified in timed 500 ft. runs before and after the repair). Except for the reprogramming of the MPEM, it's a no brainer to have it done. New pistons, spark plugs, carb cleaning, improved cooling for no charge.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yea doopilot, i meant bulletins or whatever, i did call them, and they said they would do it free of charge.  had a gas mileage problem, and a plug problem too.  any other bulletins on it??

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just the one bulletin sledcrazy. That's great that your dealer will doo it for no charge. Read the bulletin and it sounds like it should fix your mileage and plug fouling. Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts