Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a locking cable for the sleds while parked on the trailer. Used 1/2 cable and solid eye bolt. I also branded over the threads of the eye bolt underneath. Used 20ft. of cable so I don't have to load the sleds when overnighting at a lodge, just lock'em to the truck axle. Also installed a lock on the trailer hitch. I know, they can cut through the cable (altough using a standard pair of bolt cutters takes awhile, I tried it wasn't easy! and a hacksaw takes longer!!) Point is, if someone wants to steal your sled they will, if they're determined enough no matter what you do. Hopefully something like this will make them look for an easier target. And yes, unfortunately we even have lots of thieves here in Alaska.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
You have 1/2" cables and that little lock. :( One cut for the lock and your done. I would go with a bigger lock if you can.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've always found the best way to prevent theft if to use the old Ski-Doo cover I having laying in the garage, its worked like a charm on my ZR's for years.
OK so I was stirring the pot a little LOL
Rick.

Don't :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: me out EH!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i ahve a bolt cutter on the farm that will cut all that off in about 5 seconds.

just a thought. bigger lock, but yes i would think they would go after a easier target.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Dec 1 2002, 10:27 PM
I've always found the best way to prevent theft if to use the old Ski-Doo cover I having laying in the garage, its worked like a charm on my ZR's for years.
OK so I was stirring the pot a little  LOL
Rick.

Don't  :cussing:  :cussing:  :cussing:  me out EH!!
Just think of the disapointment when they took the cover off and found a AC. At least they put the cover back on for you. :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
You know what ya need! hook some sort of electricity up to that (high power battery or something) and hook it up to the wire and everything. If they touch it they get ZAPPED :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Always back your trailer up tight against a wall, tree, or something that will not allow the dirt bags to drag the sleds off the back. Iron Dog, put the cable through the trigger of a 12 guge mounted in your truck. That'll learn'm.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I concur with the others, dump that little lock quick. Thieves won't bother with the cable when they can cut that lock almost as quickly as if there wasn't anything securing the sleds at all. Something with a 3/4" to 1" thick shank comes to mind. :D

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
hmmm this electric shock thing doesnt sound like a bad idea..... i hate to say it but if someone really wants your machine... there going to take it.. nothing short of it being blocked in by all your buddies sleds is going to keep these thieves away... when your out there with your buddies make sure your the first one back and let them block you in....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Try Pitbull security systems.
Mine comes in at 90 lbs, for the male , the female is 45 lbs and a little ##### to boot.
Scott

·
Registered
156 Posts
800xrev
Pitbull security! I like that.,
I have the Rottweiler security system myself. Just over a year old and already 100+lbs! Funny how these dogs just love everyone you introduce them too, but don't let a stranger come onto the property uninvited! He don't like that at all! :hallo1: :hallo1:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
believe it or not my bicycle locks that i use saved my ride home once and there were a couple others stolen that were locked. i just have one for each sled, those bike locks that are a U shape and the lock part connects to it on the two ends. i put the U through a hole in the track and through the suspension. they tried with bolt cutters without success that night.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input on the lock. I'll get a bigger one. I guess I'm not much of a thief. Only lock I ever tried cutting was one this size and couldn't cut it with 24" bolt cutters. All it did was ruin the blades on the bolt cutter. But I agree, bigger is better!!
As far as the shot gun...should I use slugs or buckshot? :devil:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Solid slugs with a pyrotechnic charge. :D Make sure that they're legal where you live of course.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The only problem I see here is what is protecting the truck? If it were me i would take the truck with the trailer and sleds attached and off load someplace else!!! So while you are at it I would make sure to use some kind of security device on the tow rig!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts