Snowmobile World banner

Most miles on a sled - TROUBLE FREE (not including BASIC maintenance - hyfax, belt, carbides). Then

• My highest mileage trouble free sled was/is under 10000 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • -

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
I said 5000 but its just a guess though because I had it from the point when I was 4 to 13 and the only thing I ever had to do was put on gasline and plug....It was a 1980 Ski-doo Citation 3500 with the 277cc single. Ran like a top and still does for my little cousin who I gave to last christmas.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My best sled so far was my 04 REV 600 sdi. 9600 kms on it and never had a wrench on the motor. I'd get over 5000 km to a belt!! :crazy: . Add to that the 20mpg for amazing fuel economy and it makes for an amazing sled.
Now my 02 MXZ 700 was amazing too. It had 8800 kms on it and other than cleaning the clutches, it was trouble free too :D .

·
Registered
568 Posts
My sled.

Never had one issue with anything. Coming on 16 000 kms shortly and the closest thing to seeing the internals of the engine was when I put in my reeds and changed sparkplugs. Everything else has been equally reliable, havent had to replace anythng but bushings and bearings and that was my choice, could have left them as they werent very bad.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Mine was a 96 Grand Touring 670, sold it at 10k and it was still just purring. Weight got to be an issue, otherwise I'd still have it!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
97 FomulaZ 583. After 12,000 miles I thought I should ring it. When I did, the original hone marks were still visible. Traded it in with over 15,000 miles on it ...

·
Registered
670 Posts
I wander what this poll will say several years from now when some of the new Yammi 4 strokes reach a gazillion miles. Just hope you can find one with a suspension and everything else that will last as long as the engine.

·
10,054 Posts
I had a 90 prowler with 13,000 mile on it,,,, I did change the motor to a 580 at 11,000 mile but had no problems with the 440 up to them.
It was sold to a fellow in Michigan for his son,,,, not sure what ever happened to it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1998 skidoo formula 500, 9500km when I sold it, ran like it did from day one. Still had 138 lbs compression each side when I sold it. Clean the carbs and rave valves twice per season and run synthetic, I think it's impossible to wear them out.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
2002 Skidoo Legend 700 with 11,500 KL and I've replaced the track so far.
I chose to replace the drive bearings at that time because I had it all apart but they weren't showing any signs of wear.

The dealer replaced the rear shock under waranty with an MXZ one.

I am refreshing the motor this summer though just because our season is so short and I'd hate to take time out to rebuild it because something let go.

Jeff

·
Registered
670 Posts
I sold my 93 Formula Plus 580 EFI with 4100 miles on it and I thought that was a lot. Then I see guys on here who ride that much in a year or so. Man that is a lot of riding. I buy a sled every 5-8 years and think its expensive. I cant imagine having to buy one every couple years or so.

·
Registered
945 Posts
99 Mach 1 had 11000 kms on it and did nothing but regular maintenance on it. :inlove:
It was problem free till my buddy dunked it. :cussing: SWRules

·
Registered
644 Posts
1997 Polaris Trail RMK fan, nearly 20,000 miles. Worn out a few parts; two complete sets of shocks, two sets of skegs, one primary clutch, a set of rings, original track needs changed. I am perhaps overdue for piston replacement - still using original pistons!!!?? I love the old machine; well balanced for pulling power, light enough to yank around when stuck, but doesn't often get stuck due to low weight and track pressure relationship. Too bad it was only built two years!

·
Registered
586 Posts
My 91 Phazer II 485cc Fan only has 4,500 kms, but I've seen other Phazers and ventures with the same 485 engine with over 15,000 kms. Someone on here mentioned over 25,000 kms. Pretty bullet-proof engine. I get about 170kms/8 gallon tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
my dad had a 90 indy 500 sp that he rack up 11k before anything went wrong beside replacing sliders and a few spark plugs

·
Registered
32 Posts
1997 xlt ltd gave this sled to the wife, her first year sledding.her fist trip 25-30mph,her last trip 55-65mph :lol: .i think she likes it,anyway put her sled away last weekend and noticed the rear idler wheel was about to come off,10200miles,first problem ever

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not mine, but buddies 1998-9? AC touring tripple 600 went to 16,000 miles and then began to fall apart. Stator, jack shaft and drive bearings, chain case, and track all let go within 300 miles time around 16,500 miles and it was sold soon after, but only plugs, hyfax, carbides and maybe an idler wheel or two before that!
Oh all the miles were put on within 5 years time, I think it was sold in 2004.
I remember winter, when you could put on more that 100 miles in a season, I sure miss it. :sarcasm:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I could keep those old things of mine running, the trail or the cougar. I figured that was just the norm, until i got my 2001 MXZ 500. Its got 7400 miles, and ive never had a problem, and i still use it as my primary sled. I'm sure ill keep it after i upgrade, just for a good reliable backup.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts