Snowmobile World banner

Most miles on a sled - TROUBLE FREE (not including BASIC maintenance - hyfax, belt, carbides). Then

• My highest mileage trouble free sled was/is under 10000 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • -

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
My old '96 XLTSP had 9800 trouble free miles on it b4 it blew up.

My current sled, a '00 Indy Triumph 600 has alittle over 5000 trouble free miles. The only thing that I've done to it was jet down the mains

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 03 ZL600 was my most reliable. I never keep my sleds over 5,000 miles so I can't tell how long they'll last. The ZL has 5,900 right now and I'll be selling it over the summer. Of all these miles, it's had one blown belt at 5,100. It's never started on more than 3 pulls either.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
10,000 miles is where I typically draw the line. When they make it that long, seems like it's time to move on for me. So far 3 have made it. 96 XLT, 96 RXL and a 97 Ultra. Currently have 2 getting up there, an 01 XC8X with 7500, and an 02 XC8X with 5700.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
1993 Arctic Cat Jag Z 440. Had over 7000 miles on it when we got rid of it in 98 and never had a single problem with it.
[/b]
EXACTLY -MINE WAS A 1997.SOLD HER WITH 8K MILES ON AND ALMOST NO CASH OUTLAY.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS..................................... :wink:

·
Registered
430 Posts
My 97' baby triple had 9,800mi on her when It was sold it to a buddy for $1,000.00
He then put on another 3,500 not so kind miles before she went KABOOM!..
The 96' Polaris xcr's also seem to go forever.Two of my buddies had over 8,000mi on there's before selling them.
:christmas:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are there any of you that have a FAVORITE long distance running sled? I am NOT talking about the fastest, the nicest looking, or the most expensive (all though this might apply) sleds - just interested in DURABILITY - pure and simple! IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YEAR!! PLEASE make comment after you take the poll and tell us all about this sled, if possible include approximate gas milege and whether it was fan/water cooled.
Mine was a 1999 fan cooled 440Z Cat, 16 mpg and 7100 miles before it puked!

Woodsy SWRules
[/b]
My wife's 04 Legend GT V1000, it has 5,300 miles, runs great, hope to get another 20k plus miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
1970's artic cats, they are like duracell and timex, they just kept on tickin and tickin. will my new sleds do it, we'll see. they should. hell, we'd put on 3000-4000 miles back in those days like nothing and not even think of it. course, i was only 14 years old them days, who cared,and froze our butts off. we had no extra money for clothing.ran purple gas from buddy's dad's tractor fuel tank. gone every night and weekends.ya, and no booze, heck, we was kids.
my buddy ran an old green john deere 500. he went pretty good to. except he blew head gaskets. memories are wonderful

uncle neil

p.s. that old green john deere turned into artic cats for the 2000's

p.s.s. that old 500 john deere was a jd 500, not the jdx 500, if i remember correctly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to the thread starter. This is a very informative thread for someone like myself considering a used sled purchase and wondering just how long can these machines last. There's nothing like "rubber meets the snow" experience.
Arlie

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have a enticer, with close to 7000 kms on the chassis and about 3000kms on the fresh engine. ive changed the plugs, belt.

then i ended up modifying my skis to except phazer 4'' woody carbides, due to partsunlimited doesnt make carbides for the enticer anymore.

then i have the 440xc, got it in a box from my friends dad. claimed the left cylinder stopped working after it got warm. so he wanted to get rid of it. replaced the crank bearings and seals and runs like a top. i havent even gotten 500kms on it yet.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
A number of people have mentioned it - that Yamaha 485 fan. I have a 2000 Venture XL with 11,500 miles on it. I have never touched that motor. Never even fouled a plug, even when running in the spring at 45 deg! Of course it gets atrocious gas mileage - 11 mpg. But if it gets me home, I don't care how much gas it burns. Most of my riding is solo. I can't break down.

The grand plan is 20,000 miles plus, because quite frankly, they don't make "lightweight" 2 up touring sleds like that Venture XL anymore, at least here in the States. So here at the sled's half life, I'm replacing the track and all the bearings in the drive train. I'm going to bore out the motor next year. I'm basically making a new sled out of this Venture because it's such a good base machine. I'll never own another machine like it.

I have a 2005 Bearcat 570 that I bought as the Venture's replacement and to drag the dead Venture off the trail here in its golden years. That Bearcat just doesn't have the same quality as the Yamaha. But even so, I love the Bearcat. It will creep down goat paths breaking trail, it will do 80-90 mph without breaking a sweat, plus it is as good on an all day tour as a Panther. It does everything.

For solo boondockers like myself, the sport is just going the wrong way. No way am I getting a 750 lb 4 stroke unstuck by myself. At least I have half a chance with the so called lightweight 2 strokes I have now. But I have yet to get the Bearcat stuck, so I may have to edit these remarks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
2000 Polaris triumph. Bought when it had 1800mi. Rebuilt engine at 2600, on first piston, top ring went missing, piston burned.
I've got a 550 Polaris fan that's been doing that. Not much over 8000 miles and I've been into it three times; six pistons.

OTOH, my old 488 fan has over 23,000 miles on the original pistons; changed rings at 13,000 'cause it seemed like a good idea, not because it needed it. I would imagine I need new crank bearings by now. I shouldn't neglect the faithful old ('97) machine.

Perhaps I should even spring for something new, but what? Nothing really twists my crank up very much right now. But with the mileage on the five machines we have averaging over 10,000 miles and nothing under 8,000, perhaps we ought to be looking. Hmm?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
2002 renegade 800 with 7500kms on it. Other than one blown belt a set of sliders and carbides. It has run flawlessly.
You forgot the Y2K gade :rolleyes2:

The y2k was my 00 500 mxz, had 5+k on it and then went to perm for his son . Never had any down time and far as I know perm had to put a chain on it last season .
I sold it to him in 05 and he just sold it this fall ..still rockn.
How many miles on her now perm?

mutt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
1998 670 summit doo x with 5300 miles runs great will be putting on new slides for the first time this week

·
Registered
7 Posts
High mileage 500 EFI Polaris,s

have had 4 indy 500 EFIs now. first 92 had dam near 20,000 on original motor. hell. second 92 had 16,000 on original sparkplugs. it burnt in my garage fire last winter. had a 93 for one month this winter, friend talked me out of it. it had 4500 miles.
my latest 92 says 8500 on odometer., great machines, 2 pulls when cold all the time, picture on left is the 20,000 mile 92 right is one i have now with 8500 ,the first one had elec start and reverse and passenger back rest. my latest doesnt have elec start.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
2014 SkiDoo 900 ACE Renegade Adrenalin. 4239 miles. 2nd set of carbides. one oil and filter change, original belt and high fax. At 1200 miles I upgraded to Cudney PB80 primary and 2ndary helix and spring. Now it pulls 8000 rpm unil the 2ndary shifts out all the way, then 7600. I'm 290 stripped and average 17.5 mpg trail riding.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts