Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you sled alone? I know the number one rule is never go out on your own but this year out of the near 800km I have put on I would say I put on near 600 alone. This year no ones schedules have worked out for group riding and if I waited for it to I would never get out. When I go out on my own I do carry more stuff than if I was in a group just in case I have to stay out the night on my own.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I ride alone half the time as well, I ALWAYS carry a cell phone, and an extra pair of warm gloves, and an extra heavier hat. I carry a long chain(with a lock), a tow rope, a full set of wrenches couple pairs of pliers, a spare belt, and a extra jug of oil, trail maps etc.. I make sure if its a long ride I know where the gas stations are, and there is no planned snow/wind storms rolling into the area. I also make sure I am wearing heavy clothing under neath, some people go out in tshirt and light pants, which is fine if you are in a group I guess, but if I have to walk 10+ km's, I know ill have a good base of cloths under the winter gear if I do have issues.

I figure if I do break down, I will tie the sled to a tree or metal gates that are off the trail if available, and call a cab for a ride(most likely a very expensive cab ride too), or hitch a ride. Then go home and get a trailer and vehicle. My sled is 12 years old now, and its not a huge loss if it were to get stolen if I do abondon it on a trail till I can go back. Till now, the only issue I have had was my secondary screwing up, and I was able to get home fine, just little bottom end,

I try not to go far at night if I'm riding alone, stay close to roads, and never venture out on the lake that I do not know.

its hard to find people to go out with all the time... and well, i have put the money into it, and i'm going to ride.

-steve

*keep it safe, always be prepared for the worst*

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
I do quite often as well, wife doesn't have the interest to get dressed and go out on a regular basis. I'll always carry my cell phone, tell her where I'm heading, only ride alone in the day and wear my tether.

Still would prefer a partner though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like nothing better than blowing off work and going riding for the day midweek. The only problem is if you have an accident. Chances are you will be a while before someone comes along during the week. In southern Ontario we are generally only about 1/2 mile from some sort of help if the sled breaks down. It may be a cold walk but we are generally dressed for it. My sled had a shaft bearing quit Friday but I managed to limp it into Arthur where a buddy picked me up with the trailer. My sled is an '05, so it isn't that old. I probably won't learn from this (haven't in the past) and will have to listen to the wife for a while.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I also ride alone quite a bit. Probably 500 of my 1000 miles this season have been solo.
I always take extra gear, tools and cellphone / GPS etc and I follow a rule that says I can not venture more than 40 miles in either direction from home (trails that I know VERY GOOD).

I know there are going to be some people that chime in and say "oh my G**, you should never ride alone!" but my work schedule is so screwed up this season I simply do not have a choice if I want to put any miles on this year.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i ride alone once in a while. just am a little safe and carry the phone but it just not as fun riding alone. no one to talk to or play around with

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been riding alone a lot more this year. A big reason for that is that I now work 2nd shift and none of my friends have the same hours. That means if I want to go for a ride on a weekday or night after work I am by myself. I try to look at it in a positive sense, as this job has very good pay and I am closer to getting a new sled that way!

I try to use common sense, don't go a long ways, carry cell phone, map, tools, etc. I still do not believe it is a good idea for me as I have an old sled that can break down easier and it s less fun alone anyways. Temptation is strong though, especially considering the great snow recently. This past friday after work I got stuck pretty bad by myself. I wasn't that far away from anything and knew where I was, but it was quite nerve racking. I made the big mistake of venturing off the trail to play around.

I am not gonna say noone should ever ride alone, and I will continue to. A lot of things can happen though and you should always keep in mind it is riskier and try to be as best prepared as possible. I definitely will not venture off the trail again while by myself. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been riding alone a lot more this year. A big reason for that is that I now work 2nd shift and none of my friends have the same hours. That means if I want to go for a ride on a weekday or night after work I am by myself. I try to look at it in a positive sense, as this job has very good pay and I am closer to getting a new sled that way!

I try to use common sense, don't go a long ways, carry cell phone, map, tools, etc. I still do not believe it is a good idea for me as I have an old sled that can break down easier and it s less fun alone anyways. Temptation is strong though, especially considering the great snow recently. This past friday after work I got stuck pretty bad by myself. I wasn't that far away from anything and knew where I was, but it was quite nerve racking. I made the big mistake of venturing off the trail to play around.

I am not gonna say noone should ever ride alone, and I will continue to. A lot of things can happen though and you should always keep in mind it is riskier and try to be as best prepared as possible. I definitely will not venture off the trail again while by myself. Lesson learned.[/b]

I got stuck when I was alone also, It was very cold and windy I put in nose first into a ditch that I did not know was their, the snow was level with the ground I went over to the side and it sucked me in. I spent 1 1/2 hours digging with my hands to make a path to the ground to get it out. If my sled was not studded I would have never got it out. I now never ever go off trail or go to the ditch when running near a road. I carry my cell and GPS with lots of other stuff, no night riding, no snow storms and I try not to go out by myself when its really cold e.g. -20c or below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I now never ever go off trail or go to the ditch when running near a road. I carry my cell and GPS with lots of other stuff, no night riding, no snow storms and I try not to go out by myself when its really cold e.g. -20c or below.[/b]
I wanted to be the last person in America to buy a cell phone, but now that I've started snowmobiling I can actually see a good reason to have one.

Always ride alone, only on my own property (which is why I first bought 'sm). I've tried to hook up with a couple of neighbors, but I'm retired and they aren't, I'm single and they all have family [shrug].

I can already tell I'm going to gradually get more and more addicted to sm-ing, will want a better machine and a trailer, and go more places. Then I can start looking for group rides.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I wanted to be the last person in America to buy a cell phone, but now that I've started snowmobiling I can actually see a good reason to have one.

Always ride alone, only on my own property (which is why I first bought 'sm). I've tried to hook up with a couple of neighbors, but I'm retired and they aren't, I'm single and they all have family [shrug].

I can already tell I'm going to gradually get more and more addicted to sm-ing, will want a better machine and a trailer, and go more places. Then I can start looking for group rides.[/b]

Not trying to high-jack the thread here but just noticed that you've made your first post here and you're a supporting member already.....let me be the first to give you a high-five[attachment=33533:High_five.gif], thank you, and welcome you to SW.
We're glad you are here!

Duane

SWRules

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
i guy icefishing on georgian bay got lost in some blowing snow and ended up in a total different direction then he had to go and got stuck in slush and couldnt get out. he had to phone ppl to get a helicopter from trenton to get him and his sled home. that probably costed him a bunch of money $$

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guy icefishing on georgian bay got lost in some blowing snow and ended up in a total different direction then he had to go and got stuck in slush and couldnt get out. he had to phone ppl to get a helicopter from trenton to get him and his sled home. that probably costed him a bunch of money $$[/b]

I heard about that, I think it happed a few days ago. I follow the weather and carry a GPS. I know he was fishing with a bud and he said we should go the wind is picking up. He did not want to go so his bud left and he was trapped by the weather. He should have stayed put in the hut and waited it out. I am a strong believer if you want to go out on your own get a GPS a $500 purchase can save your life.

·
Registered
90 Posts
riding alone is the only way to go. i find when riding with groups that i take off ride for about 10 minutes, stop...wait.... smoke a cigarette and finally when im done i can see lights off in the distance. doing that all day long is a drag. and very hard on cigarettes. also you spot the perfect line, a nice drift that you can get right upside down on. you nail the throttle, come down off the crest and blamo some bonehead is right there riding across your line. BRAKES. geez buddy where were you 10 minutes ago when i was down to my last smoke. anyway the only thing i can add that hasent been mentioned is to carry your cell phone in an inside pocket so that it is not frozen if you need it. and make sure that your boots are comfortable enough for walking. i once had to walk and was wearing a very warm pair of steel toe winter boots, it took 45 minutes for my heart to stop POUNDING when i got home. these new snowboarder style boots that brp sells look like they have a lot of ankle support, but could you walk any distance in them?..

·
Registered
338 Posts
None of our friends ever go alone.. We ride in some trecherous mountains and alone is no good.. Just this last weekend our friends rode into the mountians, I guess with a large group.. the snow was really deep and after everyone got stcuk a number of times it got dark, they lost their way and luckily someone had GPS to help them, but in the dark they found even GPS isn't always easy...
We got a call from their son at 8:00pm, scared to death that they were not home yet, we live about 80-90 miles from where they were, but we were hooked up and ready to go up there for the night and head out first thing in the morning top look for them.. Had our friends been alone they may have had to spent a very scary cold night deep in the heart of the mountains...We are all now looking at GPS, our friends didn't have one, the group they were with did..
I would never ride in these mountains ALONE... ever..

·
Registered
90 Posts
something i would like to add to my last post is that i ride alone but im never to far away from civilization. if i was riding in remote areas or out of 911 range i would like to have support if needed. i have worked in many northern remote areas and know that you can find yourself in a world of hurt very easily.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Most of my riding is done alone, and I don't mind it at all. Easy to put on lots of miles, I get to go at my own pace, decide where I want to go, yada yada yada. It also makes me more out going, and I always stop and chat with people I see stopped, especially if they look confused about where they're going.
I ride off-trail lots, and many people have told me that I'm nuts to go where I go by myself, but it's hard enough to find people to ride with, forget about finding people to ride off-trail with. And I've become very good at getting my sled unstuck by myself. It's very rare that I won't go somewhere because I'm by myself, usually only if it's late at night.
The only thing I keep telling myself I have to stop doing when I'm by myself is running water. But I'm addicted, so I can't seem to stop.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The only thing I keep telling myself I have to stop doing when I'm by myself is running water. But I'm addicted, so I can't seem to stop.[/b]

I hear you there. The lake i'm on is connected by a long bumpy trail or a 150 foot water run. And everytime Im coming back late at night from my buddies I have the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Needless to say I'm usually though the water before I have convinced myself to go around.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Alone? Yes.

Cell phone, 911? ?????????

I like to have a sled along with extra gas and at least a tarp for protection (wind), snowshoes, a VHF handheld marine radio, GPS, small ax, and revolver. I always keep an eye out for high terrain (for radio reception) when I get far from home and don't know the area real well.

Oh, and the 550 fan is really spooky to be too far away on.....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i like to go for a rip alone during the week after work. stop and have a smoke in pure stillness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts