Snowmobile World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago there was a post regarding opening the up the track windows slightly to slide the sliders through when replacing them. Has anyone done this ? It would certainly take the hassle out of removing the suspension especially if no maitenance is required.

·
Registered
664 Posts
No need to open up the track windows more just some wd40 and a pair of vice grips. Loosen up the track as much as you can, spray wd40 up and down the sliders. getting the first little bit to back off is the hard part after that it's pretty easy. You'll have to twist them once you get enough out to reach the track windows in order for them to fit through.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
You can use a large screwdriver or air chisel thru a track window to drive the slider off.

Also, I've welded an adjuster screw from vise grips to a slide hammer. Once the slider is out the window, clamp the vice grips on & use the slide hammer to remove the slider.

Put some lube on the inside of the new slider & install it with a mallet.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I would do the job right .that is the best time to inspect everything on the rear skid, welds and all. really you do not know if it needs maint. till you inspect it.these sleds that people cut corners on are the ones to stay away from if your looking for a used sled.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree with you Dooman, If your changing them now you're in no rush, you have a couple months yet. The only way I do them as stated above is if I need a quick midseason change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts