Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 Yamaha Enticer 340 and have been having slider problems.

At the beginning of the season I wore out a set of sliders but it was probably from bad snow conditions since my wear bars disappeared too.

Then I wore out another set in just over a month, which seemed okay but I now realize I wasn't putting on much distance.

Then, last week I replaced them again and put on 500 km and I can already notice substantial wear....with good snow conditions.

Does anyone know what might be wrong.

Is my track tension the problem...if so how tight should it be? Are my track clips too rough.....any help would be appreciated since I'm new to snowmobiling.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Definatly check your track clips! Sounds like there are some damaged ones!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
track clips are a problem

track should have 1-2inches of sag

byy graphite sliders they are only $2 more

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think you should have a look at more than just your track clips.

Take the suspension out and see if the idlers and bearings are in good condition. Grease up the suspension, check to see if shocks are functioning and see if there are any broken pieces (bolts, cross beams, axles, etc.). Your sled is at that age where anything can happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first time my sliders went I didn't notice till the track clips had started wearing through the rails. There are 2 spots where the rails are worn about 1/8 inch for about 6 inches in length. It also widened the rails from pressure...so I have to pound the new sliders in.

This left my track clips very smooth because they were running on metal for a while. At the beginning of the season I had to replace 18 track clips that went missing but I think they are all there now but a few are loose....I have a spare track...is it worth putting on....

The sliders show almost no wear at the idler wheels that are there now so does this sound like a good idea...My buddy suggested adding another idler wheel near the front of the rails.

How tight is your track at the transition to flat on the rails (near the front...as soon as they curve up). Can you fit a finger between the clips and sliders...does it hurt your finger or is it loose?

I'm picking up new sliders tomorrow so any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
sorry about the quality of pictures. they were taken with my cell phone. the first picture is of my front boogie wheel. the second picture is of how far my track is sagging. where the sliders curl upwards my track is tight so the clips touch the sliders. hope this helps and best of luck to you

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry about the quality of pictures. they were taken with my cell phone. the first picture is of my front boogie wheel. the second picture is of how far my track is sagging. where the sliders curl upwards my track is tight so the clips touch the sliders. hope this helps and best of luck to you[/b]

thanks...I'll try that tension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts