Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the screw out that was holding them on. Now how do they come off? It doesnt look easy. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you're absolutely sure that you're replacing them, than go ahead as removing them often destroys them.

The difficult part is getting them around the curved part at the front of the skid rails. Start by placing the rear of the skid frame against something solid. But don't block the end of the skid rail. I then usually wedge a metal bar into the front of slider behind the plastic part that covers the tips of the rails. Then pound it towards the rear. Keep pounding it until you clear the curve. Then you can usually attach a vice-grip onto the other end and pull it off. Beat some more at the front end if you need to coax it some more.

If it gives you a really hard time, take a sharp utility knife to the front end again and start at the tip in the bottom centre and slice it towards the rear down the middle. BE VERY CAREFUL THAT WHEN THE KNIFE SLIDES OUT, THAT NONE OF YOUR BODY PARTS ARE IN THE WAY. It will happen so I don't want to read that you cut your arm or leg off trying it this way. LOL You'll most likely need to make many passes to get to the aluminum skid rails. Just watch that you don't gouge them up with the knife.

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so basically leave them on until i get new sliders? Oh, i dont have plastic tips, do i need them?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
if you plan to replace them, then destroying them is not an issue is what he is saying.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do they go on pretty easily?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Spray some type of lubricant in the channel part of the slider. This will help them to go on easier. It doesn't hurt to spray the old ones down first before you remove them. Just makes them slide easier on/off. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
We can change a set on a 99ZR AND an 02' XC in about 15-20 mins not in much of a rush. Usually tip the sled on it's side, remove screw, hit front with big screwdriver and an even bigger hammer a little at a time. Make sure the tail end of it lines up with a hole in the track and away you go. With a little lube in the slides you can usually yank them out by hand once they are about halfway out. Turn sled on other side, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, the suspension is out so i dont have to worry about tipping. But, once i get new sliders, the ill change them, but for now ill leave them on because its preventing my rails from getting scratched.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
vicegrips and PULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

then use silicone based spray lube(LPS is what I use) to slide the new ones on

It is much easier to put new ones on than it is to take off the old ones

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like i have a pluthera of things to try, thanks guys, thats why i asked here. :thumbsup: SWRules

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, from the pictures of your sled I should have gathered the suspension was already out. I'm a dumba$$ for not reading....[/b]

lol, its alright, we all have our days :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, ive gotten one slider off no problem except i had to go from back to front because there was a pin in the back i couldnt get out. The only problem is the other one isnt budging. Whats the best thing to use to cut the other slider off?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lmao: I feel dumb, forgot trailbalzer already asnwered that. But is there a faster way? Like something that uses electricity or air?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, you mean an air chizzel (sp?). We got one of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts