Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the adjustment screw is (air or fuel) on Yamahas Smart carbs? The parts manual calls it a screw. It apears to be a pilot screw. It's located in front of the float bowl on the bottom of the carb.
Thanks, FlyboyII.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Actually, this is just one of the confusing features of the Vmax service manual. The ONLY screw on the smart carb is the idle speed (aka throttle stop). What you see in the parts manual is not on the smart carb models but all the other Vmax models. I double and triple checked this, there is no air screw. The smart carb controls how much air is pumped into the low speed circut and the high speed circuit, and you can't change anything. That's why there is no idle air screw, unlike almost all other snowmobile carbs. If your idle is too rich, try a smaller pilot jet. Yeah it's annoying but on the other hand I've been to 10,000 feet at 70 degrees out on my Vmax with awesome performance, so the system works.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually, this is just one of the confusing features of the Vmax service manual. The ONLY screw on the smart carb is the idle speed (aka throttle stop). What you see in the parts manual is not on the smart carb models but all the other Vmax models. I double and triple checked this, there is no air screw. The smart carb controls how much air is pumped into the low speed circut and the high speed circuit, and you can't change anything. That's why there is no idle air screw, unlike almost all other snowmobile carbs. If your idle is too rich, try a smaller pilot jet. Yeah it's annoying but on the other hand I've been to 10,000 feet at 70 degrees out on my Vmax with awesome performance, so the system works.[/b]
New to this site and sledding.Sorry if I'm using this forum incorrectly. Just picked up first sled yesterday and am having problems. Have a 92 Yam Venture 480cc oil injected-
Sled idles high (at rest), corrected when I move the control cable?
slighty to one side (single cable that runs from the choke control,
then splits into two cables that connect directly to the carb
system) If I move the cable(s) too much, it will stall. Also, sled
seems to flood itslef at full throttle...as if you can hear a slight
sputter in the rev which doesn't allow max power and speed. Top
speed on flats is only 32 mph? Any thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts