Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a 99 zr 700  and was going down the trail and went over a dip  i always go over and bam my whole front end was in the air straight up i tryed to balance it but whoosh i got so high up the sled did 2 full flips in the air before landing and smashing all over the place. the sled was totaled bad . i did some flips in the air and landed on my back and my head HJC helmet did really good. i was fine i was more worried about the sled. i didnt even think of myself i was in the air and saw this thing just flip it was crazy. lucky me i didnt get hurt THANK YOU GOD.!!!!   the whole tunnel was bent up to peices the whole sled is deformed. time for a firecat now. F7 EFI FO SHOW. ILL MISS THAT ZR 700 HANDLED GREAT. the seat was lying on the ground while the sled was like 10 ft from the seat . it was all crazy ill have to get some pictures and send them to the webman or snowmobileworld.com anyone have the ADDRESS SO I CAN SEND SOME PICTURES IN BEFORE THE SEASON ENDS. ITS A DRAMATIC CRASH. 99 ZR 700 LOOKS LIKE A PRETZEL NOW. DAMN. R.I.P. ZR 700

·
Registered
78 Posts
That sounds like just what you need a Firecat so you can really ride hard down the trails. I assume this trail was in your yard cause anyone who rides down a public trail and flies in the air with a machine fliping around would be concidered dangerous. Those are the people who I will hold responsible when snomobiles are completely restricted or alltogether banned. Well I'm sure your not one of those guys.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey snowblown, Then everyone who rides should be banned. This is very common. I am sure you have had your spills as well. The trails always will have these dips in them, and being HUMAN we make the occasional mistake like not seeing a hole.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't think trails were made to be ridden like that. There are family's out there who enjoy the sport. This is one reason I stay away from Gaylord. The way the rider (crash and burn) puts it he must have been running WFO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here we go again. There was no mention of speed or wrecklessness in the first post and people automaticlaly assume that the rider was being irresponsible. Is it possible for someone to have an accident without somebody thinking that the rider was going 100+ MPH and weaving in and out of traffic while towing a small child behind their sled? Get a grip people. Stuff happens. 30 MPH in flat light with an unexpected drift can cause chaos. It doesn't mean that anyone was riding dangerous. Fireblue, I'm glad to hear your o.k.  To bad about your sled. Hope to see the pictures. Jack

·
Registered
416 Posts
I went through the same thing with the guys at work earlier this year when I hit a barbed wire fence. "Maybe you should layoff the throttle a little" or "you must have been cookin" were the two most common responses. I am not to sure of the speed I was going but I know it was nothing over 40 mph. Flat light and snow dust from another rider was the culprit for hiding a large clump of dirt in the middle of the ditch. I agree that evryone always jumps to conclusions when they hear of a crash. When you explain what happened and make note of the speed they sure back track their comments. We probably all have ridden in non perfect conditions and have had an expierence thats makes the ticker skip a few beats and puts your stomach in your throat and speed had nothing to do with it. Hidden obstacles and drifts can buck ya off and do some damage at slow speeds as well. Sometimes it don't take much

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had a friend do the same thing going across a powder field less than 50 mph,when he hit a bump under the snow the sled launched straight up and flipped over backward landing on him before it hooked and took off fliping again leaving him lying there with crushed vertibra broken ribs and colapsed lungs and a totaled out sled.He lived through it and still rides today but he thinks he is invinsable now and rides like a madman.He is a member on this form initials are jc.After that day I have visions of myself sitting in a wheel chair watching the budds take off in fresh snow,tends to make a person more aware of what is going on on the trail.
I am not condeming fireblue or saying he rides like a pinhead I am saying that sh!t happens that we cannot control,we have to remember that we ride an off highway vehicle and trails are not like interstates and have unexpected obsticles that get jump up and bite you.
....SNORAT....

·
Registered
416 Posts
I totally agree with you sno-rat. Even though I wasn't hurt in my little accident, it is still stuck in the back of my head that stuff can happen at any time. I think now I am a little more cautious and really watch the trail in front of me. Kinda gave me a little more common sense when I am on my kitty. Stuff can go wrong quick, and I don't want to be a statistic. Not saying I don't like to give her all out, I'm just a little more cautious, even when I'm puttzing along.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I too have crashed. I hit a deer at about 25 mph. I would not want that to happen to me again. Iv'e seen a buddy crash his sled and shatter an elbow and break a shoulder blade. I also would not want that to happen. An aquantence (sp) killed himself last year jumping a hill in Kalkaska, I would not want that too happen to me either, what would my two daughters think? When the poster said his sled flipped in the air twice before coming down is when I said "foolishness" He had to be running pretty good. I have been riding over twenty five years (and that doesn't make me an old man), I think I can visualize what went on.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
In all my years of riding i have never had very few accident.  I owe this to not taking many chances.  I never go fast on a peice of trial i have never been to.  A lot of people think there blair morgan and ride the trails the blair would ride the track.  But blair knows the track of by heart.  No one can know the trails because many people change crap.  

A few years ago i was bussing back and forth on a road doing about 20 km.  I didnt realise that a person that was living there works nights and was trying to sleep.  Well the A-Hole came out and hung a barbed wire across the road to try and kill me.  I was driving and saw the wire by miracle of god and the guy jumped out from behind a bush and started swearing at me and telling me how he would take me and beat the crap out of me.  I told him that I was going to call the cops and as i started of he jumped me and i had to kick his ass.  

Lets just say the cops took care of him.  But ever since that day i dont trust anything.  The trails can change just as fast as you can ride.  It may be a barbed wire or a 4 year old walking just on the other side of a ridge that you just rode across and asume its still safe.  Every time i get the itch to hit the gas i cant help but think is there a wire or a kid or a fallen tree in the road.  

Me saying i never had a accident is not totally accurate.  The year before that incident happend i tipped my sled and fell of it 3 times.  I rolled it once and broke a windshild,  and hit a frozen dock on a lake.  All were because i though i was invincible and wanted to be reckless because i got a high out of going fast.  

After the incident i never even scratched a machine or tiped it or rolled it.  Few close calls but nothing that bad.  I still drive fast and never follow the speed limit but i always think about every possible consiquence that could happen if i just hit the throttle.  I have seen a few really bad crashes.  Some where the sound of the guys arm breaking was louder then his engine.  I have seen t-bones and guys being flung through the air,  And i have seen people hitting pressure cracks and losing control and driving though ice fishing huts leaving him in the hospital and the occupent of the hut killed.  

Sometimes you get into situations that you cant aviod like Deer, or ice but good driving and a little luck will normally steer you around with out harm.  

Point is that speed does not cause Crashes.  Recklessness causes crashes.  And when speed and recklessness are both in operation then seriously bad things will happen sooner or later to you or your sled.  If riders would just take the time and think before they act the trails and riders would be much safer.  

I stoped driving reckless because i didnt want my life to be a countdown.  You know your driving reckless when everytime you get on your machine you wonder if it will be your last.  

As for FIREBLUE.  I dont know the situation but you were very lucky.  Use this as a learning experience so you dont do the same thing to your F7 if you accept the fact that it was a mistake on your part and that your driving was at fault it will make you a better driver.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and the group of deaf riders standing in he trai....  oh wait thats another thread... [/b][/quote] hahaha..yammyrider...I was thinking the same thing

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to pounce all over this one but people need to remember that there is a difference between making a mistake and being neglagent. There is a difference between riding hard and riding out of control. I love to ride down the trails hard and jump and do wheelies and all of that fun stuff, thats what makes snowmobiling fun. If my lazy boy in my livingroom did those things i'd never leave home. But we need to understand that not everyone likes to ride like that and there is a place to ride like that and the trails need to be used with respect for all of the people who use them.
I'm sorry but in my opinion, anyone who flies in the air enough to do flips and completely destroy a snowmobile was going to fast for the conditions. And I totally agree with the fact that the conditions are never constant, they change all the time.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
SNOBLOWN: Check out the "I fell off" thread in the Polaris forum so you can rant some more.

Last winter my cousin let a friend ride his sled while he jumped on another. They were doing about 20 mph and the kid ended up sending the sled end over end a few times, bending a slide rail and totalling the hood off. This guy was a relatively experienced sledder and it was just an unfortunate accident. Like I said they were going slow over some banks and then suddenly it was rolling and cartwheeling. In this case the rider was NOT driving too fast for conditions.It was just a matter of the sled being in the wrong line at the wrong time. It surprised everyone there because he was going so slow.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Of course accident will happen its just a matter of time till our next.  Hopfully it will be very minor (like spilling gas at a fill up.)  LOL.

But I think that speed has little to do with a crash.  Of corse you could go to fast for the trial your riding on and cant make the next turn but what i mean is when your driving as fast as your comfortable.  

When your driving at a high speed but still in your comfort zone i belive that your more aware.  Your expecting a oncoming sled and your ready to avoid it.  Your expecting ice on the turns and your expecting big ruts and holes in the trail.  

But when your just crusing going 50km you sort of forget about the dangers and you sort of go into a daze.  All of a sudden a sled comes over the hill and takes you by suprise or you hit ice and your not ready for it and thats when the mistakes/accidents happen.  

Most of my mistakes happend going walking speed or very slow.  

Its not the speed that gets you into trouble it your awarness level.  Everyone needs to drive defencive not aggressive.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It doesn't take much for something to happen.It could have happened to anyone.It's unfortunate that some people jump to conclusions and assume that if someone wrecks that they were being reckless.Thats not always the case,is it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Its not the case all the time.  But you define reckless.  

What is reckless.  Is it driving hard, Driving fast, Jumping stuff.  

I dont think so.  I think reckless is driving with out a clue.  Not thinking of what might happen.  Not thinking of the consiquences of your actions.  

I didnt say anyone was reckless on this sight.  And im not lashing out at anyone.  All of us seem like good riders and somtimes bad things happend to good people.  I just telling everyone my experience about sledding and if it makes someone a safer driver the next time they go out then im happy.  

Im not saying im the most experienced driver on this board (im not)  But I have seen a lot of stuff and it made me want to quit the sport. I lost a few riding friends because we witnessed a huge crash and they sold there machines the next week and never touched one again.  I had the same thoughts on my mind but I carried on.  

As for FIREBLUE. I feel sorry for him about his sled. But I dont think he should be riding it the way he does.  They way he described his incident sounded reckless.  But i dont know what happend so im not going to tell you to slowdown or ride safer.  Somtimes SH!7 happens.

And fireblue if you want to post pics click on reply and when your in the screen where you type the message there is a File Attachments section.  Put the pic file in there and it will show up.  Just try to resize it to make it smaller otherwise they will take it of.

·
Registered
78 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FIREBLUE @ Feb. 27, 2002, 2:14pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> i had a 99 zr 700  and was going down the trail and went over a dip  i always go over and bam my whole front end was in the air straight up i tryed to balance it but whoosh i got so high up the sled did 2 full flips in the air before landing and smashing all over the place. the sled was totaled bad . i did some flips in the air and landed on my back and my head HJC helmet did really good. i was fine i was more worried about the sled. i didnt even think of myself i was in the air and saw this thing just flip it was crazy. lucky me i didnt get hurt THANK YOU GOD.!!!!   the whole tunnel was bent up to peices the whole sled is deformed. time for a firecat now. F7 EFI FO SHOW. ILL MISS THAT ZR 700 HANDLED GREAT. the seat was lying on the ground while the sled was like 10 ft from the seat . it was all crazy ill have to get some pictures and send them to the webman or snowmobileworld.com anyone have the ADDRESS SO I CAN SEND SOME PICTURES IN BEFORE THE SEASON ENDS. ITS A DRAMATIC CRASH. 99 ZR 700 LOOKS LIKE A PRETZEL NOW. DAMN. R.I.P. ZR 700[/quote]
Read it again cause I think this is being reckless and bragging about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OKAY IM NOT BRAGGING WHO THE HELL WANTS TO BRAG ABOUT A PERFECT CONDITION SLED BEING SMASHED. FIRST THINGS FIRST I HAVE BEEN RIDING FOR 7 YEARS NOW AND THAT WAS MY FIRST SLIP. SORRY.  SECOND I WAS DOING AROUND 50-55 MPH AND SNOWBLOWN U NEED TO SHUT UP AND SORRY SNOWBLOWN THAT I HIT A DIP AND CRASHED. THIRD I WAS JINKED BY MY DAD . I WAS HEADING TO MY OLD CABIN BY MY SELF AND I TOLD MY DAD THAT I DIDNT NEED THE CELL PHONE  HE SAID TAKE IT INCASE OF A BREAKDOWN . I SAID OKAY WHAT THE HECK THINKING NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN A BOOM. SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT WOULD GO DOWN WENT DOWN.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts