Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Ski-Doo last week, a 2001 Grand Touring 500, DPM carbs, with 1400 miles showing on the odometer.   After getting home I noticed it had no "500" or registration stickers on the hood, so it must have been damaged and replaced, the rest of the sled doesn't appear to be damaged, but I'm concerned.     It smokes way more than any other I've seen, although it seems to run fine and hasn't fouled a plug.   The seller (second owner) didn't have the manual, so how do I check the oil pump?   Would the RAVE valves affect this if sticking?   The idle speed is about 3000 RPM which seems too high, how is that adjusted?  Also, it makes a clinking sound like a barn elevator at slow speeds, especially when turning (straight moderate and high speed seems fine).   Is that sound normal, if not what should I check?  Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The idle speed should be 1700rpm.  To adjust bring it outside in the cold.  Let it warm up then shut of the machine.  

Now synk the carbs.  TO do this look on the right side of the carbs there is a screw it it the idle screw it is big so theres no mistaking it.  

Take it and in half turns count while you turn them in.  (Make sure they are going in.)  When they get to the bottom.  Turn it out the same amount you just turned it in.  THen grab the other carb turn it to the bottom and then turn it out the same as the other side.  

Then start it And look at the idle.  If its still 3000 then turn both screws out (or in i forget) a little but make sure both screws are exactly the same.  goose the gas and let the idle fall back if its still high turn it some more.  Do this untill your on 1700.  

FOr the clinking noise.  Make sure the track tention is right.  It sounds like it might be to tight or that its grabbing on of the windows.  Then check all the idler wheels and make sure that they are all spining freely and dont wiggle side to side.   Then greese all the fittings.  

And lastly for the smoke.  

Fill up the gas tank right to the rim.  Go riding and when its out of gas pour in one bottle of oil.  If it used 1L or more it is using too much.  The 500 should use about 1L for about 350km or a bit less.  

THe other posibility is that it is coolent you are leaking.  Check to see if its clear white smoke or if its blueish.  Also smell it.  If it smells sweet and sort of like anti freeze then you probably have a coolent leak.  If it is leaking to the point where the sled smokes there should be a noticeable drop in coolent.  Top of the coolent right to the cold line and drive it.  After park it and the next morning look at the line.  If the coolent is under the line you have a leak.  This requires a head gasket. If you can change the spark plugs you probably can change a head gasket. It is not as serious as a cars head gasket.  Or just bring it to the dealer.  They will have it fixed in less then a day.  

Dont worry its still a good machine.  Just got a case of the used sled bugs.  You will get them ironed out and have many years of service out of it.  

One tip: Normally bringing it to the dealer and getting them to do a compleat check of the machine and fix your problems will probably save you a lot of future headaches.

If you live near toronto canada then i got a great dealer to bring it to.  But im not sure where you live and theres great dealers everywhere.  

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts