Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advise from SNO JET experts about removing the rear bearings on the bogie suspension.

Pulling them off the rear shaft seems pretty straight forward. However, the adjuster link plate
that the bearings sit in, have no set screws or anything to hold the bearings in. They appear to
be pressed into the link plate, just as they are pressed onto the drive shaft (inner race against the
shaft, outer race against the link plate). First, am I correct in my assumption; Second, how the ****
do you remove the bearings from inside these link plates?????

THANKS!!!

Greg
New Hampshire

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just a hunch, but betting they hadn't expected anyone to be working on one 30 years after the fact...

If I'm following you, you've pulled the axle out of the bearing, and now need to get the bearing out of the cup? I don't remember anything holding that bearing in place originally, so the only thing holding it now is likely rust. Back in the day, I don't remember having any trouble getting those bearings out. If the bearing is junk you could try some heat on the cup? Isn't there a zerk fitting on the cup? What would happen if you put the axle back into the bearing and pumped the cup full of grease to force the bearing out?

The other method that comes to mind is to fill the cup with grease, find a snug fitting dowel to fit the hole the axle normally would occupy, and beat it in. The dowel will displace the grease, forcing the bearing out. Kinda messy, but it does do the job without a fancy puller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a hunch, but betting they hadn't expected anyone to be working on one 30 years after the fact...

If I'm following you, you've pulled the axle out of the bearing, and now need to get the bearing out of the cup? I don't remember anything holding that bearing in place originally, so the only thing holding it now is likely rust. Back in the day, I don't remember having any trouble getting those bearings out. If the bearing is junk you could try some heat on the cup? Isn't there a zerk fitting on the cup? What would happen if you put the axle back into the bearing and pumped the cup full of grease to force the bearing out?

The other method that comes to mind is to fill the cup with grease, find a snug fitting dowel to fit the hole the axle normally would occupy, and beat it in. The dowel will displace the grease, forcing the bearing out. Kinda messy, but it does do the job without a fancy puller.[/b]

So far, I have removed the axle with the bearings and link plates intact. I'm restoring this sled. The bearings
still feel OK, so I probably won't try to take them apart yet. But if they fail, it sure would be handy to know
how to get them out.
I never thought that they are just sitting in there with no pressure. I haven't tried to pull very hard on the link
plates. I'll give them a hard tug and see if they separate. Wouldn't I look stupid if they just fell out!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts