Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search and all I get back is errors. I know this was discussed last year but I can't find the thread.

I've looked at Brown's Leisure World diagrams & part numbers. I looked at the following:

02 ZL SS 600 EFI
02 Sno Pro ZR 440
02 ZR 600 EFI
03 ZR 900
03 ZL SS 600 EFI

It looks like the 03 ZL bars are a direct swap for mine, but I want to go with the ZR/Sno Pro style bars & riser. To do this, I need a new steering post, but every single steering post listed above has a different base than mine. Because of this, I'm finding myself confused as to how this swap was done, which is why I'm hoping somebody has a link to that tutorial I saw last year. Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked at some more stuff, including the 2002 ZL 600 EFI. Even that one has the same style base as the 02 ZR, the 03 ZR and the 03 ZL. I'm wondering if the pic on the 02 ZL SS is correct? I can't imagine why that one and only sled would have a unique base on the steering post????

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 01 ZL 600 EFI and the 01 ZR 600 EFI show the same steering post as my 02. I'm going to go nucking Futs if Cat carried over that old steering column for my sled and only my sled. ???

Even the 02 ZL 800 EFI SS shows the "new" style post. They wouldn't use a different steering post on the 600 vs. the 800, would they???

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt in hopes that it doesn't get burried. ;)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Not sure on your sled, but I put sno-pro bars on my '97 zert. I had a hellofa time with it though. The throttle, brake lever, and all other wires were a inch short or more and I had to extend them all. Then because of the bent bar, the housing that had the throttle and kill switch are on didn't want to go around the bent bar! :angry: It wasn't fun, but I made it work and it looked good and felt much better when I was done, but I'm sure you will have to do some rigging of some sort regardless.... ???

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by phazerhater@Nov 6 2002, 12:06 PM
Not sure on your sled, but I put sno-pro bars on my '97 zert. I had a hellofa time with it though. The throttle, brake lever, and all other wires were a inch short or more and I had to extend them all. Then because of the bent bar, the housing that had the throttle and kill switch are on didn't want to go around the bent bar! :angry: It wasn't fun, but I made it work and it looked good and felt much better when I was done, but I'm sure you will have to do some rigging of some sort regardless.... ???
Do you happen to have a listing of what parts you used? I think your ZRT has the same steering post as my sled, so it would be real helpful. So far the only thing I can think of doing other than replacing the whole steering setup is to get a 4" or 5" bar riser and attach the sno pro bar to that.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I don't have part numbers or anything, but the only thing I had to buy was a longer brake line. With the wires I just soldered extra wiring in. The hardest part was getting the throttle and houseing to fit over the curved bar, so what I did was heat the handle bar up with a torch and had to straighten out the curve to fit the housing through it. That was all done without the bar attached. Once I had the throttle in the bar I just bent the curve back in. I did have to re-route the throttle cable a little bit so that I could take advantage of what little slack there was, but after it was mounted and in place on the bars it was "barely" long enough.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a huge pain. I didn't think I was going to run into cable & wire length problems. I would have figured with the popularity of spacers that Cat would have been smart enough to make this stuff long enough. ???

Maybe I'll just get a 3" riser & the sno pro bar. That'll keep the bar at the same height it's at now.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You have a '02 though and I put them on a '97. They may have extended the wiring since then, but I'm not sure. Did you already buy the riser and bars, or just want to?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't bought anything yet. I'm just getting my ducks in a row first so I don't wind up buying a bunch of crap that won't work.

Because this particular sled seems to use an 01 steering post instead of the 02+ post that every other damn 02 uses, I can't just buy all 02 ZR parts. Instead I have to play games with some of this and some of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts