Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For riding in powder, should you take off your snow flap, or cut it shorter? Also, I have been told that the higher the handle bars, the better for riding in powder. Is this true or not?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Higher bars are definetly a good thing. You want to be able to stand up straight and comfortable. They also give you more leverage to get her over on her side for boondocking and counter steering.

Don't take the flap off. They'll probably be enough snow that you don't really need it, but why take a chance. Cutting it a bit shorter will make it easier to reverse in deep snow, but only to a point. Mostly you try and avoid needing to back up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is your flap doing that you don't like? Ive never had a problem with my flap in deep snow. Remember that the flap helps get snow to the heat exchanger, if you remove it you may run hot. Plus no one will want to ride behind you especially if you get on some hard pack!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about putting on 8'' riser. My ? about the snow flap is besause it seems to some time hang you up in the down snow when you get stuck, or mybe make you get stuck easier. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I cant see the flap getting you hung up in deep powder unless some freak thing happens. More likely you will have over heating issues cutting or taking it off then you will getting stuck because you have it on.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
The riser will make your sled feel 100% different and give you tons of control when playing in the pow pow. I cut the snow flap on my Gade and it made for much more of an improvement than I expected. In most powder conditions now I can put the sled in reverse while standing next to it and it will back up effortlessly. :thumbsup: I have a digital temp gauge and the running temps are exactly the same now as they where before I cut the flap. :wink:
Here is a pic with 7" riser and cut snowflap.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
The riser will make your sled feel 100% different and give you tons of control when playing in the pow pow. I cut the snow flap on my Gade and it made for much more of an improvement than I expected. In most powder conditions now I can put the sled in reverse while standing next to it and it will back up effortlessly. :thumbsup: I have a digital temp gauge and the running temps are exactly the same now as they where before I cut the flap. :wink:
Here is a pic with 7" riser and cut snowflap.[/b]
what he forgets to mention about that setup is that you get softballs thrown at you and forget about seeing his tail light w00t

I refuse to ride behind sledhead unless I am faaaarrrrrrrr back as he copied the snowflap.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Geez Jason, does that thing ever sparkle :thumbsup:[/b]
Thanks

what he forgets to mention about that setup is that you get softballs thrown at you and forget about seeing his tail light w00t

I refuse to ride behind sledhead unless I am faaaarrrrrrrr back as he copied the snowflap.[/b]
If your getting pelted your riding toooo close :dazed: I rode behing Shd and did get pelted some but that was only when I was within 10 feet and the trail was freshly groomed with hardpacked. :wink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Handel bars: Should you have the money to spend, here is how I size them up. Stand on your sled (as if you were boondocking), and see how much extra height you need (without dropping your shoulders). Sit back down and see that height wouldn’t cause your arms to fall a sleep. Over all with the higher handle bars you will be less tired when ridding of the trail. Just because it different doesn’t mean it wrong. Do what your comfortable with.

Snow flap: I don’t see how taking a snow flap really helps. Keeping them on really helps the people behind, on certain models of tracks and pitches. I run a stock snow flap until they get caught get sucked up in the track (from having to trail ride on bumpy trails). After this happens I cut off the bottom messed up part and put on an extension (heavy duty mudflap), a w/wire to pull it up and out.

I must say the 159 challengar tracks don’t normally need one. My 162 attack 20 flipped HAS to have one.

Hope that helps-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts