Snowmobile World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a sled and plan on getting something in the weekend, and I was wondering if the electric shield helmets are worth the extra? Any experience with them? Good brands?
Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes the helmet VISORS are worth a bit more... you can pretty much buy an electric visor for almost any kind of snowmobile helmet... sometimes you can get deals with the electric visor already on them... an electric visor usually sells for around 100$ the helmet itself is all about personal preference and budget. I like the HJC, KBC, and I have also owned a GMax helmet... which was very cheap however surprisingly well made, especially for the price... and then theres the Bell helmets which y ou can never go wrong with, and of course the factory Ski-Doo helmets and Arctic cat helmets which are also great. GL

but it is worth every penny... those cold days... oh man, they are a thing of beauty... theres nothing like having a crystal clear visor shield. remember, this is what you see out of... if you are all fogged up you are risking the potential for not seeing what is in front of you... dips in the trails... and many other things. I defiantly recommend them... I wont ride without it... unless its a warm humid day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
what kind of heated visor did you have? i have one on my polaris pursuit and its just as bad as without it. only the very outside half inch stays clean :cussing: . i endup riding with the visor cracked open a bit to keep it clear. i think the next pruchase will be a different windshield.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would definitely recommend an electric visor.

Once you try one you would not go back. The only inconvenience is the cord that attaches your helmet to the sled. You may forget to unhook it from time to time. Most new helmets come with the adapter you need to wire into a sled as well.

I would steer you away from a used helmet as well. Helmets are not designed for repeated impact.

Remember if there is one part of your body worth protecting its your head.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have never had that problem... maybe its time you go buy a new one... they should all work just fine... the only time they should struggle is when i8ts like -40 and you just got back on your sled after being stuck so you are breathing super heavy :p

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wouldn't get any helmet without an electric visor, I have a cheap modular helmet with electric shield made by Zeus ..I have had it for 4 years and have had no issues...You can buy them for about $160 ...I have tried the ski doo modular and others ( friends helmets) and yes they are great helmets but I find them too hot on warm days, or I am just wasting too much time making sure that the breath guard is in place..With my helmet I wear my balaclava pull the shield down and go........

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
I am currently looking for a sled and plan on getting something in the weekend, and I was wondering if the electric shield helmets are worth the extra? Any experience with them? Good brands?
Thanks.[/b]
Get the electric shield by all means. Last year Terri and I did our snowmobile vacation in the Gaylord, MI area and happen to be there when it was the coldest time of the winter. That defogger crap they sell you and spray on your shield is a waste of money. GET THE ELECTRIC SHEILD. We will be doing the same this year. I will however, have to get the connector set up on my sled.
Well worth the bucks......
:christmas:

·
Registered
629 Posts
get the skidoo mod or the BV2S, yes they cost more but no need for the electric shield I never fog in my lid. I dont want to get all caught up with a dang cord.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
get the skidoo mod or the BV2S, yes they cost more but no need for the electric shield I never fog in my lid. I dont want to get all caught up with a dang cord.[/b]
Now how would that look with me riding a bright orange Arctic Cat sled with a SkiDoo helmet...A kid could get beat up for a thing like that :lmao:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Now how would that look with me riding a bright orange Arctic Cat sled with a SkiDoo helmet...A kid could get beat up for a thing like that :lmao:[/b]

I know what you’re saying but I do see it from time to time the BV2S has no big brand stamping on it.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Now how would that look with me riding a bright orange Arctic Cat sled with a SkiDoo helmet...A kid could get beat up for a thing like that :lmao:[/b]
The BV2S can't be confused with anything else out there name on it or not. I got a straight black modular 2 from doo. The only brand mark on it is a little 'brp' emblem on the front about the size of a penny. Pretty easy to pop off, cover or replace with something else then it just looks like a standard black helmet.

The branded clothing may be good, but I don't plan on being a walking advertisement for anyone unless they give it to me for free with the sled! :)

dave

·
Registered
10 Posts

I have worn a Ski-Doo modular since 1998. I rode Artic Cat until this year when I bought my MXZX 800XP. That magic ski-doo powder they put in those things sure is sloooooow acting!

Seriously, buy a modular you will not need an electric shield. I bought a new helmut every year or two until I bought my modular.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Send the money on the BV2S Helment. They my be $479.00 but it is wworth the money.

An old saying "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

I got one last year from a buddy and love it and would buy a another one in a heart beat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
my pursuit is a modular helmet that was bought new last season, with the electric visor new this season. not to mention the helmet inside styrofome shell is falling out, the breathe deflector straps broke on me while out riding. i am definetly going with a ski doo modular helmet for my next helmet

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm on my 2nd HJC full face helmet. Both have the electric shields. No problems in 10 years of riding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts