Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never got a close look at an Open class sled this winter. If anyone saw one up close, does the track not extend past the tunnel? I don't think a normal snowflap would be rigid enough to keep from getting caught on the track lugs. The tunnel extension would allow the use of a stock flap. Looking at the attached photo (from the all line brochure) it looks like they spliced some metal or rubber between the snow flap & the tunnel. The flap looks like a OEM part.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a better view of what is entailed to mount a snowflap to the sled. In the couple of pics of the race sled in the brochure, it appears that there is a bit of an extension to get the flap rearward.

Maybe if Ski-doo had the sled out on the trails this year, prospective buyers would have been able to say what they liked & disliked. Has Bombi not heard of "focus groups"?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
revrnd:

The reason bombardier has the snowflap they way they do on the production revs is COOLING.

Because the tunnel stops short of the end of the track the exchangers are farther forward.  I know it may not look good but it serves a purpose.  

Lets not try and improve a machine we know nothing about yet.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the ZX sleds not have an additional exchanger at the front like Polaris? Mind you with pushing the motor rearward, it may be hard to keep it in this position.

I would hate to think that the cooling of the sled is dependent on the design of the snow flap. As 02SnoPro says the race sled configuration sounds fairly simple and straightforward. The bumper would probably be rigidly mounted to the tunnel.

When I was looking at the REV, I noticed that the bumper moved up & down as the flap pivoted. I never thought to see what this setup would be like for tying the sled down to a trailer bed.

I checked out the photo & if they were to straighten out the tunnel (May not not be possible due to travel/clearance concerns) and mount the flap professionally, it'll look 100% better  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If someone was to loan me their REV when it comes in this fall, I should be able to design a setup  

I made my own tailgate so I can close it & keep stuff in the box of my truck. Otherwise, your tailgate is down & nothing is secure back there.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yes it would look alot nicer but every machine's snowflap is designed for cooling.  The snowflap deflects the snow so it hits the exchangers.  But unlike the rev the zx exchangers were directly above the track.  On the rev you have to go about a foot back before you get them.  So the snowflap is the only way they can get the snow from the back to the exchangers.  

Think about it.  Look how close to the track the plastic part of the snowflap is.  What its doing is keeping the snow in there  so it flys up and hits the exchangers after it gets pasts it.  

Who knows maybe they will make diffrent colored ones or we can put stickers on it.  

Bombardier would never have done this if they could have gone the other way.  Its kind of the price for a sled like the rev.  Im more then sure the performance and handling of this sled will make up for it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Someone will alter that cheesy lookin flap for sure.Only time will tell how it will work.I think i might even put polaris style
exchangers on it to get away from that after thought look

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Things may change between now and when the crates are opened this fall. At the spring shows in '94 the MXZ 440 had "Ski-doo Racing" as the graphic on the side of the seat. When the sled was delivered, the "Racing" was dropped. I was talking to Steve Brand of Tekvest when he was still with Ski-doo. I asked him why the change. He said on e word, "Lawyers"

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
revrnd,
 with you going after this windshield and snowflap on the rev i am sure that there will be a picture of you hanging in the ski-doo dealer with the words; WANTED DEAD OR WORSE posted over your picture and the details of the reward below.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After the way my white & black "Ski-doo Racing" jacket went for a ^*&*( after I washed it and they wouldn't come good for it, this is my payback

Paul, like I said befiore you don't want to get me going on what I think of GM's "direction" with their truck design & marketing. Give me a '65 Chevy Fleetside long box with modern electrics & disc brakes, , 6L EFI, a solid front axle & I'd be a very happy camper.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
revrnd,
 you had better read Hebrews; chapter 12 verses 14 & 15.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You keep talking like that & well start calling you St. Paul  

1 - 15 of 15 Posts