Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined a local club.Wanted to for years but kept putting it off.Glad I joined,lots of fun.
Great to be around fellow sledders and talk trash.We all now the benefits of being in a club.I think if you own a sled and ride it on public trails,you should join one. ;)

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you setting on the fence of joining....just go do it!  It is well worth it and you just might meet someone there to go riding with.

Breck Livingston

Frankenmuth (MI) Snowmobile club

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am is SE lower Michigan, where there is a lack of comraderie. Plenty of #####ing and complaining to go around though, and I guess I'll have to include myself in that group now, after the last couple of posts I've written. I don't think a club would work here. A club requires mutual respect and the willingness to share information and help your fellow members. That doesn't seem to be high on the list in this area. Sure, a lot of tech is exchanged, but not much else.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I also belong to a club and i also try and get out at least to one of there work weekends to help with trail maintenance and brushing.It's normally a good day with a dinner at the end and a chance to share some war stories on sleddin.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm in SE MI as well. I think a club would work if we were in an area that you could ride in. Around here the only places you can ride is private property, that is if there is enough snow...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also belong to a club and help out on the trails(Brushing, fallen tree's, resurfacing bridges).  WI has 22,500 miles of trails and almost all of it is because of clubs and the volunteers, many started back when the industry got started.  I strongly recommend that you join a club, you will appreciate the riding alot more, it's usually cheap($20 a yr).  I also joined Blue Ribbon Coalition and Lake States Resource Alliance to help preserve OUR and ALL forms of motorized rec.

Justin

·
Registered
126 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like a kill-joy. Lots of bad news lately, plus with low or no snow, well, THIS SUCKS. I agree that clubs are worthwhile. Usually while riding in an area we give donations to that areas local clubs because they DO take care of the trails and we appreciate it. Like MichYamaha said, in SE lower MI there isn't anywhere for us to help out with, either labor or finances. As long as you help the area you ride, things will get better. In Michigan they are talking about raising the trail permit price again next year to $30. As far as I am concerned, $50 would be better. I can't think of anything I could do for a season that is more fun than snowmobiling, and at $50, that is cheap.

·
Registered
394 Posts
In a few years it is going to be a requirement in New Hampshire that you have to be the member of a club to register and ride a snowmobile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we belong as a family to a club "just up the road".  $15.00 per year dues...includes all 5 of us.  They were discussing upping the dues to $20.00 for individual and $25.00 for family.  This is wicked cheap, seeing that out of the $15 we pay, $10.00 goes to the NH Snowmobile ###'n.  This "law" ArTeeCat is refering to about belonging to a club, is to have "those who play, pay".  We pay 47.00 to register each sled.  As of next year, we would pay: 47.00 to register, 10.00 to NHSA, and 30.00 to "general trail maintenance".  This 30.00 would be dispursed throughout the State to clubs that meet grant in aid spec's for tail maintenance and grooming.  By joining a club in NH THIS yr, you are "grandfathered" when you renew or register your sled next year...so for joining a club, you can save some $$, as well as partake in some ride ins, poker runs, benefit suppers, and good old Yankee humor at the meetings.
Happy Trails
!!!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Joined a club this year. We have a clubhouse 35 miles outside of town and a warm up shack. We are a non-grooming club due to the small size. We run an annual sled run, hot dog sale, and many club events at the clubhouse. Haven't been able to expierience anything due to lack of snow. Really sucks with no snow!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The question should be why join a snowclub?
The answer....why not?

I live in Maine, and am the treasurer of my local club the Saco Pathfinder's. I have been riding for over 20 years although not every single season. The weather does not favor Southern Maine along the coast.

I travel 3-4 hours north to ride on some of the nicest trails in New England. These trails are public owned and if not for the Maine Snowmobile Association (MSA) might not exsist.
Your state snowmobile associations were formed for you by people just like you and me, snowmobilers.

We need to support our state and local clubs so that we can all ride. The MSA has alot of members and this was reflected last year when members of the MSA got our elected officials to put 3 million dollars on a transpotation bond to build recreational lanes on some new bridges up north. This passed and next year a few water crossings will get a lot less hazardous. Then they got a $5.00 fee added to all registrations for the funding of new trail grooming equipment with 100% of that fee going directly to local clubs.
Could an association with 1000 members do that?
There are 90,000 snowmobiles registered in Maine and 10,000 MSA members. With the upcoming problems of noise, pollution,enviromental concerns and safety issues that my state and probably yours is going to go through, then it only makes sense to join a club, support the club, and support your state association.

The future of our children getting the same oppurtunities to ride as we do today or even having it better than we have it rests in our hands (or wallets). The $20-30 bucks for a membership doesn't seem so bad when you consider the benefit we get from it.......over 200,000 miles of trails in the U.S. alone!  

·
Registered
625 Posts
I too am a member of a snowmobile club, and next season it will be at least three. Even if you cant devote a lot of time, 20 or 30 bucks can buy the fuel for a groomer for a day! so every little bit helps! And if the money is the issue, go work a weenie roast for 4-5 hours for a clubs some weekend....it will be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Are there any clubs in SE Michigan?  I know there is one where I ride in Lewiston,MI called Lewiston Fun Ones, but they never return phone calls.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts