Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will now require a snowmobile cover for my sled since it will be on an open trailer. I would like to have some opinions about what may be the best route to go and why. My trailer (at least at this point) will be a Triton 2-place with a salt shield.
Thoughts and where to get the best deal. Currently I have a 2007 Arctic Cat Z570LZ and will be getting another sled just not sure what kind just yet.
Thanks guys/gals

Richard
Your only Florida snowmobiler

·
Registered
945 Posts
Like the pic. I use a standard cover bought at Canadian Tire, and I put a blanket under it to absorb water bleed through and to stop any cover flap from scuffing the finish. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Richard, I don't think you've bought your trailer yet.
Have you thought about an enclosed trailer?
There's some great deals on the clam shell type enclosed trailers right now.
Just shop around.
With the fact that you'll be trailering from some pretty wild temperature extremes and salted roads, you'll be regretting your choice every time you pull that salt crusted cover off. Also with the salt in the air from the ocean, it'll help to keep the aluminum from corroding all year long.
Just a thought. I always hated the covers and they never did what we expect them to do.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richard, I don't think you've bought your trailer yet.
Have you thought about an enclosed trailer?
There's some great deals on the clam shell type enclosed trailers right now.
Just shop around.
With the fact that you'll be trailering from some pretty wild temperature extremes and salted roads, you'll be regretting your choice every time you pull that salt crusted cover off. Also with the salt in the air from the ocean, it'll help to keep the aluminum from corroding all year long.
Just a thought. I always hated the covers and they never did what we expect them to do.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff[/b]
Good points. I just sold my enclosed trailer because it was too small and it weighed over 1100 pounds. I would also be using the Triton to haul my Harley and GSXR. The Triton's seem to be very light. I know what you mean about a salt en-crusted cover but trying to cut trailer weight to improve gas mileage.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Pay the extra for an enclosed trust me. I thought I would save some cash and bought an open one. I wish someone would have punched me. I have had to replace my cover 3 times in 3 years and they are not cheep covers at all they are are Skidoo brand and I tie them down good. Once was my fault I left the gas flap open and hit the road 300km latter my cover was done. I figure I have spent $600 now in covers one more cover and I could have had a closed trailer. When you finally get to you destination you get to take a dirty frozen cover of always fun then you have to put that dirty cover in your truck or it will become a pile of frozen dirt by the time you are ready to go home. Your Hands will go numb putting the cover on because it is almost imposable to do with gloves on. One of my friends has an enclosed and he always laughs at me crawling around on my trailer.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
SKINZ
Sledsolutions member here has nice covers

PM him

·
Registered
177 Posts
http://www.royaldistributing.com/ShoppingC...2008%2F304.html

at the top go to page 304

the covers at the bottom there are good covers... they already have soft felt padding in them and I have had mine for about 4 years now and it still works great. Just keep them out of the sun... they face pretty quickly. good price too. they have spandex where the handlebars go so if you have hand guards or a riser they stretch right over top of them... they also cover the skis and the a-arms and stuff

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another vote for the enclosed trailer. I did more damage to my sled in the 2 seasons I used an open trailer than I have done since. Well worth the money. Those days of laying on a wet trailer trying to cover 2 (sometimes 4 in my case) sleds with frozen salt/ice encrusted covers are over! I don't miss it at all. Last year I kept mine in an enclosed all year. The pipe had fresh paint that lasted all year. The last time out, I pulled it 100 miles without a cover, and the pipe is trashed now. Its amazing how fast the salt and moisture get in there.

I think the weight/fuel economy is an invalid argument. The clamshell covers are designed aerodynamic. Much more so than 2 sleds with covers. I think you would be surprised. The weight is basically negligable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts