Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty new to the sport and I am looking to buy a new sled. but it came down to if I had to fix anything i wouldn't know much.

So I was hoping someone can take time out of there day to help a lil ol' youngen understand how it works?

thanks all
much appretiation.
Shawn

·
Registered
335 Posts
The only thing that you have to worry about with buying a new sled is breaking the bank! I find sleds to be pretty maintenance intensive relative to other recreational vehicles...Read and re-read your owners manual and get a shop manual too. Most of the regular maintenance stuff is pretty easy, changing belts, adjusting chain tension, changing plugs, etc. etc.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That question could have a gigantic book written about it. Even just one component of a sled would take a fair bit of writing to completely explain it. The short version is the motor powers the track through a continuously variable transmission. There are many variations to sleds and their designs. As Snofrog said when you come across a problem just ask. There will be a wealth of knowledge just waiting here to answer. If you really want to understand how to fix everything on your sled even if it isn't broken, manuals are usually pretty good at explaining things.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have found that you learn a lot of things by paying for them once. If you pay attention to why things fail, it gets a lot less expensive though sometimes a bit a more work along the way. The newer machines - that is the ones in the past 10-15 years, are so much better in terms of reliability and overall minimal maintenance issues that they shouldn't be feared.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
common sense,patience,the right tools,parts and service manual will help alot. it's still a learning curve. some times you get the bear and some times the bear gets you. make it a point to mark things when you take them apart and put bolts back inlpace where you can will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts