Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Dies After Fiery Summer Snowmobile Stunt

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - A Canadian man who tried to drive his snowmobile through a ball of flames during a drunken summer party has died of his injuries, police said on Tuesday.

Josh Chapman was severely burned in the July 20 incident in Squamish, British Columbia.

Witnesses told police the 23-year-old from Whistler, British Columbia, near Vancouver, rode the snowmobile in a "wheelie" down a paved public street and attempt to drive it through a gasoline fire at the end of the run.

Local media reported Chapman's stunt was also being recorded for use in a video of extreme sports events.

Chapman had been hospitalized in critical condition since attempting the stunt and died on Monday. No criminal charges have been filed, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said the incident was still under investigation.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
more bad publicity.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
With friends like this, who needs enemies

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Hey, i want to see that wheelie down the street!!

Caleb

P.S. Nature has it's own population control for morons!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Watch it Caleb, I'm sure all of us could have been considered a moron sometime in our lives!  I'm glad he hasn't taken me out because I did something moronic in my past.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
It's a shame the guy died and that we now have more bad publicity.  Bad pun, but it's just more fuel for their fire.

BUT! We can point fingers at this guy and blame it on drinking and doing something stupid, but we also have to realise that for all we know they could have been taping for Sled Necks 5 or something.  Who buys those videos?  It sure isn't the people pointing fingers at sled heads accept maybe to prove how insane and unsafe the sport is.  Most all of us know better than to go out and try those stunts, but it is us the sledders that want to see the extreme sled movies and encourage them being made. Its the rejects that go out and try to duplicate it that give us all a bad name.  So who is to blame??  Think about it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Read my "Stupidity" post in Chit Chat. There are some more details.

·
Registered
404 Posts
maybe we could start another heading for stupidity?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well...I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but, serves him right! It was his own choice to try and do somthing that stupid just to get on tape and brag about and show off. Nobody made him do it. You bring bad things upon yourself, and other people. What if when that wreck happend the flaming tumbling wreck flew into some bystanders and a 9 year old child got hurt or even worse. COSTvsREWARD folks! Oviously he thought it was more important to have a video of himself doing a wheely through fire then to ever see girlfreind/wife/kids/ if he had any or the first ride in the first snowfall of the year or the site of the woods glistening white with fresh powder covering everything in the middle of the trail. Yes it's sad a life has been lost and many people will miss and mourn him but I think this is good because now he is unable to maybee accidentally take the life of someone else also while doing stuppid stunts. When you have nothing to live for you'll die for anything. There are more important things in life then a dangerous stunt. Find them. It's the greatest challenge you'll ever concour. Not a long jump or a flaming wheely.

Please think first, you could ruin other peoples lives too.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Which one are you Performancex?

00EFI600ZR, obviously at his age (23) he didn't seem to care he had more to live for. What if the fire had flared back to the other idiot pouring the gas? You feel sorry for his family, but that's about it. I've said it before & I'll say it again I have no sympathy for people who get boozed up, take off for home in the middle of the night & hit a vehicle, mailbox, dock, rock, etc.

The only result of all this is that the snowmobiling community gets labelled as a bunch of morons.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts