Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought an older Polaris, and as I've always been a Cat owner I really don't know much about Polaris machines from the mid 90's
Is there anywhere where I can find information on all the different models?
I'd like to know what parts are interchangable, what the difference is between an XCR and an XLT, and an XLT SP, etc, etc...
As well I'd like to find out about clutch tuning of these machines. Should I be going with lighter weights or heavier? Should I change the Helix? For that matter, how in the #### do you do anything with that weirdo driven clutch? What is that, some kind of flying saucer?
Why they don't all go with a reverse exposed helix I'll never know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i've been looking for specs like that for awhile and have had no luck.been able to find more help right here.but if anyone did find a place i would like to know.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The XCR is a high port motor with bigger crank bearings anf higher compression were as the xlts are not.Also the clutch is not that hard to work with but if you want a cat clutch put one on they pretty much bolt right on all you need is the clutch bolt outer washer and the keyway from the cat.I did this on my prox and it worked just fine.Start with the factory cat helix and spring off of say a zr 600.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found that the weights were very close, try a erlandson 42-36-34 helix with a red Polaris primary spring to bring up engagement to about 5000rpm. Also gear down one size. If you want get get crazy try a set of triple pipes!!!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pauly, do you mean I should try the Earlandson helix on an Arctic Cat secondary, or on the Polaris secondary?

I had the Secondary apart today to tighten up the spring. It's definatly much harder to work with than a Cat secondary, though now that I've done it once I'm sure it will be easier next time.

I'd love to try a set of pipes. Does anyone know what brands give the most bang for the buck?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts