Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to take my first snowmobile vacation this winter.  I'm thinking of going to the Black Hills or Northern Minnesota.  What does a day on a snowmobile trip involve??  Do you have to make early reservations??  Info would be great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i would make reservations soon. you should check around for gas stations and sled shops. and make sure theres enough trails to ride on

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Yes, make your reservations soon.  As for gear, Helmet, gloves, snowsuit, boots - the usual cold weather gear.  Dress in layers as well.  Being a first time rider, take time to get a feel for how the sled behaves.  I would ride easy to insure that you don't find your limits the hard way.  Newer sleds have the capacity to toss you right off of the sled if you mash the throttle and aren't aware of the power that they have.  The Yammi 660 triple that I rented last winter crossed an intersection skis off the ground when I hit the throttle hard.  In that timeframe, it was already passing 45 mph on the speedometer as well.

Also signals.  Seeing oncoming riders with various fingers up (ie 1 2 3 etc.) are not waving at you, they are telling you how many riders are behind them in their group.  Last one normally will hold up a fist.  Riders with mittens, will show count by pointing to the back, thumb out, shaking fist the number of times concurrent with the number of riders in thier group.  It is considered courtesy to respond in kind - even if by yourself.

If you see somebody broke down and by themself, stop and make sure that they are allright.  I will only pass by if there are already several others helping.

Most of all, have fun, enjoy the scenery and keep your sled on your own side of the trail, just like the roads.  You should have fun.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Extra gloves/mitts and lots of socks.
Enhanced tool kit (factory ones are lousy).
Ziploc bag with some assorted fasteners, duct tape,small hatchet, Leatherman, Quart of favourite oil.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Week long trips are great. The key to having a good time is planning.

Book a hotel that does not mind if you park your trailer for a week at there site(this has never been a problem)

Next, make reservations at 5-6 other hotels all about 80-150 miles apart for every day of your trip. Check to see if they have parking for sleds (a real bonus to have indoor parking).

Everyday you have to make your next hotel. Some days you may have a shorter run (50-60 miles). These are good days to relax and enjoy the view. Other days you may have 150+ miles to run, these are pretty fast paced days.
We run a huge loop ending at the same hotel we started at.

When you plan your routes, be sure to look at fueling stations, restaurants, (dealerships - YOU MAY NEED SOMETHING)

I personally back-pack everything I need - Others in me group use saddle bags (the older guys - just kidding)

Don't plan your first trip with too many long runs between hotels - we did this once and had to sacrifice eating to get to our hotel. Weather conditions could play against you.

The best days are when you have time to eat a 45 minute lunch, a 1 hour supper, and a few pit stops to look around.

The worst days are when it's midnight, your 50 miles from your hotel, can't find a fuel station, haven't eaten nothing but a few granola bars since breakfast, have 2 wet feet from helping buddy get put of the ditch, local maps don't show the trail you are currently on, theres a fine powder snow storm that blinds you, pager has rung 10 times because your wife is concerned that you said you would call to wish her a happy birthday but you haven't, the Pepsi you were saving from the last service station has frozen and split in your backpack soaking your extra socks, And you start to hear an odd sound from the engine.

Just kidding, all days are good days. Just know your pace and the pace of the others in the group.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Also, check out sled to make sure it is in fine shape,  It really sucks, when you go some place new and it breaks down, and you have no idea where a dealer is or where you are going to get parts, bring extras, oil, spark plugs,  belt!!!!!,  you get the meaning,  have a good trip. ( toe strap.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts