Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news tonight (NTV) showed a young fellow in Newfoundland that lost his leg when a track broke. He was holding the back of the sled in the air while his buddy turned it over. The track snapped and severed his leg below the knee. A good warning to all to use a stand with a shield when running the track with the sled raised.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Damn. That track must have been moving.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
The news tonight (NTV) showed a young fellow in Newfoundland that lost his leg when a track broke. He was holding the back of the sled in the air while his buddy turned it over. The track snapped and severed his leg below the knee. A good warning to all to use a stand with a shield when running the track with the sled raised.[/b]

That's just terrible....here's hoping everyone can use this to learn what not to do.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Nith we witnessed the same thing happen at the Calabogie Hill climbs a few years back. The guy came within an inch of losing his leg. It was absolutely nasty. We posted the story and there were others who had heard of the same thing. We ALWAYS use a track stand now.

Perm

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There is no reason to spin your track at a very high rate of speed when you're holding it up. No reason at all. Hard way to learn a lesson.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Yup if you have no stand spin the track SLOWLY

We have always spun the track that way

unfortunetaly you get idiots that hammer the throttle

I am bit more leary about it now that I have studs

I usually pick the bumper up with one hand and the other hand on the throttle IF I do not have a stand

·
Registered
11 Posts
2 years ago a buddy of mine pciked up the back of the sled, while the owner of the sled worked the throttle, well the track broke and the track, studs and all, walked right up my buddys legs, He is fine now, just a some scars from the studs, but it taught a lot of us around here a lesson!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't think a track stand with a shield makes the practice safe either. I witnessed a track blow off a drag sled in North bay. Destroyed the stand because it tossed it 50 feet thru the rear door of a cube van.

·
Registered
657 Posts
... My brother and I were going to life our sleds to inspect the tracks... It's alright we didn't. Though we wouldn't have been touching the gas, you don't know when and accident might occur. I do have custom made stands, for my previous sled. Doesn't work for this sled. Guess I'll have to get another one made, or just buy one that's good enough.

·
Registered
230 Posts
us little guys have problems doing that[/b]
Tough on a heavy sled like mine,I don't even think I can reach the throttle from back there, but i use a stand and don't let anyone within 100 ft of the back

·
Registered
164 Posts

I usually pick the bumper up with one hand and the other hand on the throttle IF I do not have a stand[/b]
Do you guys drive Mini Z's or are you extremely strong with very long arms?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks like he is going to have to get a job at the IHOP....[/b]
:lmao: :lmao:

I always have to hold the back end up when my hubby spins the track... NOT ANYMORE... My legs are so short it would get me at the upper thigh..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

I usually pick the bumper up with one hand and the other hand on the throttle IF I do not have a stand[/b]
I would pay to see someone do this....Being six feet tall weighing 285 pounds and bench pressing over 400 lbs and I can't do it :blush: I just tried my wifes 07 SS 500 MXZ. You have no leverage unless you are about 12 feet tall :huh:

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
I have seen pics of freezerburnt. I believe him ! He's a strong looking guy !

Snow4

1 - 20 of 39 Posts