Snowmobile World banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice pics and vid guys.
What kind of mods does someone do to keep the engine from over heating?
Would you use quick release hydraulic fittings hooked up to the coolant lines then a 5 or 10 gal. drum of cold antifreeze or is there an other way to keep from over heating?
I have a stock sled that needs to be ridden in the winter but would like to put it on the track for a rip?
I'd like to try dragin but was never sure how to keep it cool other than the aux coolant tank.
Fraz

·
Registered
372 Posts
NO antifreeze in asphalt racing! your right though quick connects in your coolant lines, pull out the thermostat so you can circulate it and make a cooldown cart, thats all there is to it, oh ya just run water, just dont forget to put antifreeze back in before weather gets cold.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I actually have a rad and fan mounted to my cool cart so I do not need any ice or need to change water. The rad will bring the water back down to 85 DEG each time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wrote up a nice little setup for firecats a while back... here is a copy.

with the f-cats you cant just pull the t-stat, either you have to drill it or prop it open, so the bypass hole stays blocked. on my buddy's xcr we took it out and blocked the bypass with a cut off bolt put into the line in place of a connector.

How to get started in Asphalt Racing 

here is what you will need for a firecat, just about the same for others:

-asphalt track
-asphalt skis
-cool down cart
(basically a cooler with a pump and 3/4 hose with cpc fittings to circulate cool water through motor)
-cpc fittings and 3/4" heater hose.
-Snell helmet
-Leather jacket
-Leather gloves
-boots/shoes that cover ankles
-Leather pants(if over 120mph in 1/4 mile) stock F7 will just hit 120 if tuned properly
-NHRA License (if under 10 sec. 1/4 mile)
-tether

Lower (tie down) your rear suspension and pull hyfax off (no need for extra wheels on firecat stock suspension)

Lower or tie down front suspension

drill or prop open t-stat (for free water flow when hooked up to cart)
flush out system and run water instead of anti-freeze

go do some testing/tuning

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by kragar@Jul 22 2004, 09:24 AM
I actually have a rad and fan mounted to my cool cart so I do not need any ice or need to change water. The rad will bring the water back down to 85 DEG each time.
ive seen this done, personally i like mine as cold as i can get it. also dont like the fact that it only brings the temp down to ambient air temp on any given day which generally means your always chasing your jetting. there are draw backs to ice (expense) but i am always consistant whether its 50-100. thats just my personal opinion and it doesnt mean your way dont work, just what i think.... not trying to start a great debate ok.

·
Registered
327 Posts
good stuff firecat. Checkout all the articles Dragsled wrote about the sport and getting started below. Link at the top Asphalt for beginniers is the best article I have seen for someone who knows nothing about rag racing or setting up their sled to brackett race. This page also shows how to build a cool cart.

http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/race/raceindex.htm

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am with machz1... I like it cold we bring 8 bags every sunday for 2 sleds. and 3 5 gallon buckets with a cart. we fill the buckets up at the track, they have a hose for our use. that way we always have cool water in the cart. I just let my cart pump all the hot water into a bucket and fill my cool cart up with water and ice... works real well, and it dont cool the motor too quickly either.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used to use ice but found that I was going to the line with different temps which would affect ET. There is a differnce when I launch when the motor is at 90 DEG or 120 DEG. Now I leave at 100 degs every time and run within .005 everytime. Don't get me wrong ice works great and cools instantly and I would suggest putting on a racepak of some sort to keep temps exact. Like I said, no extra water or ice to keep while racing. Hook up and flip a switch and concentrate on what the sled did on the run while I download the run.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I plan on getting an avenger 1 or 2 for next summer, I spent all my extra savings buying all the stuff to set it up for this summer. by then I should have a lot more figured out and the egt's will actually help me out, right now, i think it would be way too much info to take in. hell, 2 years ago I didnt know a thing about sleds... I think i am doing pretty well considering that. and my little 500, wether i am running 13.3's or 12.7's it will stay within .05 all day... gotta love the small cc sleds and their consistancy :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
firecat, I don't even care about EGTS.........well I look at it but the wealth of info comes from having the 2nd RPM channel. After a run I can replay it back every .2 secs. I watch my motor RPM and then I can watch my jackshaft RPM to see if it is responding with motor RPM. It also calculates the clutch ratio. If and when you get one make sure it has the 2nd RPM. Thats where the box is worth the money.
Just my .02

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe the 2 has it but not the 1.
The new digatrons have them as well and I think they are a lot better than they usaed to be.
goto the link that I have above for somemobile off-road and look at the articles and some of the spread sheets that Steve Lamunion did. He is a local at your track. I have bought most of his stuff from his sled.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Originally posted by formulagrl@Jun 19 2004, 07:17 AM
I live in buffalo Ny and I have recently found out that if you do some modifications to your sled you can race them at a speed way or a drag strip (lancaster speedway). When I herd this I was amazed I have never really herd of this. I knew that there were grass drags and water crosses but on the pavement. My first reaction of the was SWEET! I think once I get more experience with the sled I am going to go for it I think it could be a lot of fun. Has anyone else herd of this and I just never knew or is it a knew thing. If you get the chance let me know thanks
Hey-Our tech guy for our grass drags races at Lancaster (Arctic Cats) and around the circuit-they had a big race in Cicero a couple weeks ago. Come out to our grass drags on Oct. 23rd (See the listing in the racing thread) in Sanborn.

You can race stock or mod there-cheap and fun!

PM or e-mail me for more info. You'll get to meet some asphalt types too!

Gary

21 - 34 of 34 Posts