Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you consider the major use and reason you have for owning a snowmachine?

.... or is it a sled.... or a "SKID-OO".......a snow-cat?......what do you call your rig?

As a youngster in the early '60s I remember them as "snow-cats." (Does that identify where I grew up?) As an adult I now live in a place where "snowmachine" is the term used even by dealers in their ads. Many folks also call "Skid-oos" generically even though most people in this immediate area drive Polaris- "Oh, I see you bought an Indy XLT skid-oo." And the best sleds are the ones built from hickory; much better than metal sleds, tougher and lighter! What colloquialisms and other trivia can you add?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Did you grow up around the mid-west?  I have heard allot of people refer to their sleds as "snow cats" there.  Never heard ski-doo refered to generically though.   An XLT ski-doo!haha  Too funny......

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
In ontario i've heard and seen  ski-doo used as a generic term countless times. We call them snowmachines, snowcars and buggy's. My sled is mostly a toy but i doo use it as a means of travel. It is a way of life around here. We have 11 sleds here and only 6 trucks . lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
bombadier didn't invent the snowmachine,but he did revalutionize it.Like henry ford  and the automobile.
i own a ski-doo,others, like people who drive yamaha's,arctic cat,and pullyourarse(polaris),they drive snowmobiles.
i wish they would get it straight!
i refer to my snowmobile as a ski-doo or sled,buggy,and snowcat just sound rediculous.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Golsovia, you grew up in Minnesota and now live in Alaska right?  It took me several years to get used to calling them snowmachines up here.  But my favorite is what the natives up north call them.... "SNO-GO'S"

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
here is Saskatchewan, most people go "Ski-Doo-ing" no matter what they ride. Ski-Doo is the generic term for sled, as well as snowmachine. Never heard anyone ever call them Snow Cat..that's a new one on me..

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (1greenmachine @ Jan. 27 2002, 5:28pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Golsovia interesting poll, but my sled fits neither. You see my snowmobile is a friggin lawn ornament  

. Matbe next year i can use up a tank of gas.[/b][/quote]
That makes two of us!!!  

I've tried all the tricks to get it freed without taking it apart.  I'm gonna have to take it apart.  

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MachU @ Jan. 27 2002, 12:27pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">bombadier didn't invent the snowmachine,but he did revalutionize it..[/b][/quote]
i thought armand bombardier was the inventor of the snowmobile ?

In 1926, the young man established himself as a garage owner in Valcourt, devoting his spare time to researching and developing vehicles that could travel on snow.

In 1937, years of research culminated in the production of a seven-passenger vehicle, the B-7, and in the patenting of the sprocket wheel/track system which would later be used in most of the subsequently produced vehicles. That same year, the inventor became an entrepreneur and founded L’Auto-Neige Bombardier, which was incorporated in 1942.

After contributing to the war effort, Joseph-Armand devoted himself to his business and continued his work as an inventor, adapting his vehicles to the needs of the forestry, mining and petroleum industries. His dream of developing of a small personal vehicle led to the production and marketing of the Ski-Doo snowmobile in 1959.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alaskanassasin- yeah, Roseau, Minnesota as a kid and now rural Alaska.
I remember the big, slow red machines that were the early technology. It's kind of hard to believe that things could come so far in such a short time. It still amazes me when I squeeze the throttle on my 80 hp machine.

And, yes, Polaris skid-oos are for real just as tissue of any brand is often Kleenex and clear tape is often Scotch tape. I have never taken to the term Skid-oo as a generic term but I certainly hear it plenty often.

Interesting replies. I often feel like kind of an oddball here since sled seems to be a very common term which I never use for the machine I pull my sleds with, the questions about trailers, etc. (My rigs never are trailered - I drive them out of the yard, across the sea ice, and overland to wherever the needed task is, be it trapping, wood hauling, ice getting, hunting, traveling, or whatever. Most pleasure riding is more scouting than sightseeing though I suppose scouting could also be considered sightseeing with an opportunistic eye.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Now, don't go spelling "assasin" with an I... I'm not really a trained killer ya know....
  Both sides of my family are from Greenbush, though I was raised in southern Oregon.  That's why I knew exactly what you were talking about.

·
Registered
124 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (phazerhater @ Jan. 27 2002, 10:23am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you grow up around the mid-west?  I have heard allot of people refer to their sleds as "snow cats" there.  Never heard ski-doo refered to generically though.   An XLT ski-doo!haha  Too funny......[/b][/quote]
never heard anyone refer to a snowmobile as a snowcat. snowcat generaly means the big, red, tracked machines with the plows on the front.

- Jasond

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ALASKANASSASAN,

Sorry to butcher the handle......Greenbush, huh? Been there alright. (Know what's a "swamp buggy"?)

For any of you guys who seem to think that "snow-cat" is a lame, borrowed or otherwise quackish name from the sticks, let me remind you that Roseau, Minnesota is the original home of Polaris Industries, a major contributor to the commercialization of the snowmobile. If "snow-cat" was a good enough common name for the machines back in the sixties in that area then I won't argue with anyone who still uses it. Then again, one might also ask where the folks in Thief River Falls got the thematic thread for their company and many of their machines!....?
??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts