Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know this is a touchy subject, but please be honest.

The bars seem to be packed along every trail, so we all know that people are drinking and riding despite the fact that WE are dying when doing it. (WE are all on the trails)

I mayy have ONE with a cheese burger.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I think that alot of guys mostly lie about how much they drink. I usually will have a beer with lunch during which I will hang around the bar for about an hour. Then around 5PM I will meet guys for a few beers in town. Usually 4 or 5 after tow hours of sitting then I will go for an easy ride. I am not a lightweight and dont find that drinking 4 beers over the course of 2 hours can do me in. Some guys it does. I often see guys pounding them at the bar one after the other. I once saw a guy put down 8 in an hour and a half then he went for a spin after he convinced his other buddies that he was fine. I find that to be exessive. Most of us dont think of the consequences, Growing up I rode alot with my father. When I hit 21 he would always point out the A*sholes to be that I should stay away from being like. And he would always count mine and send me back to the lodge if he thought I was overdoing it.
       My opinion is that were there to ride not to get plastered, not to mention that there are plenty of other places and things i can do plastered.
       My friends and I have a real good one. We call it TWI. Tractoring While Intoxicated. We get as wrecked as we can and take a hay ride at 8MPH through the woods. Thats good clean fun and no one gets hurt. All you snowmobiling alchys should try it, might just find it better then SWI

·
Registered
395 Posts
With a 2 year old and a 7 year old at home I don't at all until the sled is parked at the end of the day.Then I have been known to tip a few. We have the greatest sport that I have ever been involved in and I just don't see the neccesity to drink to have fun riding.This has'nt always been the case for me, I just think I have my priorites more in line now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drinking and ridin' , drivin' whatever! These are very BAD!! I would rather eat yellow snow than drink that!!
 I have 4 little ones at home who are counting on Mom & Dad to come home after riding.
I would like everyone to remember that every man and women is someones son or daughter!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm 16, so i dont drink for obvious reasons... but i dont plan on ever drinking and driving (or snowmobiling).

the adults i ride with drink a little, sometimes i think they drink too much, but naturally no one wants to listen to little me (well... big i guess, 6'2 190.. hehe).

I still havent figured out why adults feal the need to drink & drive, and i hope i never have an incounter with one on the road or trail...

- Jason

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
i dont drink at all, only pepsi so that wont hurt me much !  but i do hang out with guys that cant help taking a coupple of beer's and ridding after and they always think that there ok but i dont stay ther to find out ! i always tell them if you drink im out of here !

·
Registered
308 Posts
never drank  and don't know what is like to be drunk.  
smart men those who want to come home to there familys.   You will never ever regret it
those to little darlings in the pic  make me wish my daughter was still alive.  I hope you realize how lucky  you are..     ride safe and enjoy your children.  

Oh yes  give them an extra hug tonight.  

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I don't want to be a statistic or be responsible for someone elses death.I do drink a beer with a meal,but thats about it.The more you drink,the more couragous and invinsable you get.I ended up in the trees years ago after racing a buddy.We slammed 2 pitchers of beer and hit the trail.No damage to me or the sled(avoided lagre trees and took out the sapplings.That was a wake up call for me.Now I have more things on my mind,6 year old daughter and a pregnant wife.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm 19 so i never drink but i ride with guys that are able to legally drink but they don't when snowmobiling. I have been with guys that wanted to drink so they went and drank while i kept riding. All this is good until you meet the a##hole thats loaded up flying at 100mph at you.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
should be no tolerance on the trails, one beer no trail. we sledders are less than same sex marriages in the public eye so i think we are going to have too go that route and implement no tolerance.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
You are right Paul.A cold Mountain Dew works best for me.Heck, just look where the Pepsi products are canned,Right here in little Watertown Wisconsin.I like to support the local economy anyways.I don't know how far away they ship from this plant,but well I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
918 Posts
A Mountain Dew is my drink of choice while I'm riding too. Its just plain stupid to drink and ride. You spend all that money on your sled, buy this, buy that, test and tune, test and tune to make it go just a little faster and then what do you do? You go have a few beers to slow down you reflexes. And to all you that say one or two doent do anything to me at all, then why have them? Drink something else! Wait til the sled is in the garage before you drink please!
                          Ryan

·
Registered
978 Posts
Love beer, but not until the sled is parked for the day, had to many close calls when I was younger. Learned my lesson with out hurting my self or someone else, LUCKY!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I drink pepsi until the keys for the machine are put away then i might tip a few back. I have seen what happens when liquid courage is involved. Not a pretty sight. When I'm at the cabin on the weekends, you know when the bar closes for the night. There is a steady stream of sleds flying down the lake wide open at 3
0 am. The bar is 5 miles from my cabin and the parking lot is always full. I thought the idea of owning a sled is to ride it . Not sit in the bar all day and night then ride home when you can't even walk. It disgusts me. In my opinion you get what you deserve. You may get away with it now but it will catch up with ya in the end

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I like a good brew as much as the next.  There are even times where I'll deliberately go for the buzz.  However, I hold a Commercial Drivers License.  This thing cost me over $4,000 in training courses to get it.  I take the idea of drinking and driving very seriously.  When I drink, somebody else drives, or I am in a place to stay the night.  Booze has no business being used in conjunction with ANY motorized vehicle of ANY type.

I wonder if it could be considered self defense to beat the tar out of a trashed sledder?  

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I will drink to that. In my chair at the computer of course. I think you guys have made me realize that maybe the beer at lunch is enough until the sled is parked for the night

·
Registered
167 Posts
being a former drunk i can the you that this poll is not going to be a true  judge of how many drunks are on the trails with you alcohal makes even the finest people liers it takes over there brain and makes them do things that when sober they wouldnt do i used to hit every bar in sight on friday night and to me i was never to drunk to drive[lie] because the booze told me so but when i got stoped by a policeman he had a totally diffrent view of my sobority he was sober and in the real world not in my booze clouded world so to the people who say i only had 3or4 beers and drive anything car sled bike remember its not the real you its a drunk with booze contoling your brain that drive that machine i know this is going to piss some of you big tough nonlightweight macho guys off but sorry it the truth i know i was a drunk for many many years and if you thank those few beers dont effect the way you drive just wait till your the person that kills somebodys baby then you might think back and say to yourself corvette77 was right myself i decide one day 12 years ago that i wanted the real me to control my life have touched a drop since i guess i just want people to realize you dont have to get drunk to have fun ride on sober:angry:

·
Registered
852 Posts
By the nature of this poll,  especially here, you are going to get those statistics and comments.... personally I think you guy`s are being just a little bit too self rightous, I hate to say it but I think its trendy and your on the bandwagon.. sometimes I am the devils advocate  intentionally but I really think for instance if everbody responded on this site and they were honest your "stats " would be inverted. Just to crank your crank consider this, sober drivers, (might not hold true with sledders) cause more accidents than drunks, but when a sober part of the motoring public crashes everybody just says" whoops" no big deal, now you get somebody that is intoxicated ( and one would have to assume the mere fact that sober people are crashing, some of the drunk people probably would of crashed anyways) and their held to a higher standard. Wouldnt you think somebody that wasnt drinking should be expected to drive better and have bigger conseqeunces if they crash.........now that everybody is sufficiently rattled I better go........

1 - 20 of 62 Posts