Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is in regard to snowmobiling in Yellowstone, and was pasted from the Yellowstone.net forum.  I have already written to the sponsors myself.  I ask everybody to do the same, regardless of where you live!!  These people need to know that we ARE paying attention and are willing to fight to keep our access open!!  Below the quote will be the emial address or links to contact them.  Also, if those who visit other snowmobiling forums besides this one would spread this around.  Thanx in advance.

>>> Although a final decision by the Park Service will not be made
for months, Reps. Rush Holt (D-NJ) and Chris Shays (R-CT) are
working to ensure that your comments are heard by introducing
legislation to ban recreational snowmobile use in the two parks. <<<

http://www.house.gov/shays/contact/index.htm (Rep. Shays [R-CT])

[email protected] (Rep. Holt [D-NJ])

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks for the info wolfman.  Do you happen to know what the other park is that they want to ban access to.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other park is Grant Tetons National park, immediately south of Yellowstone.  The two are often considered together in regards to legislation in the area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Everybody please wright these guys, for if you don't we will all pay the price later. They both got an email from me.
Paul

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Both are beautiful to ride,  i sent my emails,  i do not think that it will do much good, also what do those two gentlemen from out east have to do with snowmobiling,  Also i asked if they had ever been there on a sled in the winter.  well anyway when i was out there last jan the rangers where 100 percent sure it would be shut down  ( also they just seemed to be @#$% HEADS WHEN IT CAME TO SNOWMOBILERS) JUST MY LITTLE EXPERIENCE.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Geez, this is no good.. Even tho I've never been to Yellowstone park in the winter, I've been there in the summer when I was a kid, and it was beautiful.. Must be one of the nicest places to ride.. and then they shut it down.

I'll send my mails!

I think you people should check out Sweden sometime, over here in the northern parts we can drive our sleds wherever we want, even on public roads! And boy we got some beautiful nature here... Just no snow for the moment

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
hey nico,  my mother is from germany and i have been back many times to visit the relatives, and have always wished i could bring my sleds and ride down in the alps,  alas it is  not to be so.  however sweden sounds like fun(my grand father was from norway)  what does it cost to rent one over there?  ie rent,oil,gas ect.  Also how many miles of groomed trails, and i bet the off trail riding must be great.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi highlandergerman, I just checked some prices on renting a sled, for a whole day it will cost you around $85 (US) plus $5 per 10 km for fuel and oil. If you rent for 3 days you get 10% off and for 5 days you get 20% off at this particular company..

As for the tracks, I'm really not sure.. I moved to this area just a couple of weeks ago and missed out on the whole season. I could ask a friend, he's been a wilderness guide around here and is also a sled fanatic, so I'm sure he could answer that.

I do know that about 30 km from where I live there's a trail that goes all the way from the Norwegian border to Gällivare, I'm not sure how long it is, but it's at least 200 km long, and there's tons of mountains and lakes on the way, and since you can ride wherever you want here (Sweden is the only country in the world where this is allowed, I believe), I think you could keep yourself occupied for at least a couple of days

When me and a friend where on that particular trail 1.5 week ago (most snow had turned into water by then) we went about 20 km until we met a lake which didn't seem too healthy to cross, and on the way we've been riverjumping, A LOT of waterskipping, some deep snow riding (and too deep water for my boots to handle underneath it, as it turned out when I got stuck
and even some regular riding between the "lakes of piss" as we call them.. The first real mountain was after the lake unfortunately, but it was quite "hilly" anyway on the part we went.. It was a nice practicing playground for water skipping as well, the water was around 20-30 cm deep and under that there was ice again.. And the nature was just great, rivers, forest, fields with some trees, completely open fields (only filled with a lot of snow/water) I had just moved the day before and hadn't even unpacked anything yet, so I didn't have my camera with me, but it was amazing.. The weather also helped, around 15 degrees C, and full sun

You could check out
this page, they got some pics and films taken around here, and quite some links to similar pages..
If you do come to Sweden sometime, make sure you come to Lappland or Norrbotten (the areas around the arctic circle) because below that it's just not the same... The nature and views up here are simply the best you can get!

As for the brands, It's mainly the big 4, plus a lot of Lynx.. I would say AC and Lynx are most popular.. It kind of depends on what kind of dealer you have close to you, if there's only a Skidoo dealer in town, then the whole town rides that.. Or you'll be shot

·
Registered
310 Posts
people like the EPA have too much time on their hands.  they are ruining the lobstering business which is how i make my living just like how the ruin everything else, and for no reason, there is no overfishing going on.  and they have to close our access to yellowstone, i dont even sled there, and i probably never will, i live in maine, but i still think its stupid.  so i have signed all kinds of petitions about it.

Last edited by Rocketman at May 08, 2002, 3:13pm

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
How is the EPA ruining lobstering?  Do they think dolphins can get caught in lobster cages?  Or are they just mad 'cause they found out lobsters scream when you toss 'em in a pot of boiling water?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have snowmobiled in Yellowstone 4 times. Starting in 1989 and most recently in Feb of 2002. I have never been there in the summer.

I have been a lot of places in the winter that I have never been in the summer.

Thanks for the address'. I just sent them both my opinion.

If you would like to help out more, The Wyoming State Snowmobile Assoc. has a Website at www.snowmobilewyoming.org.

The Assoc. is "supporting in general concepts presented in Alternative 2 in the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement for Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway."

This was the first time I had heard the mention of this 3rd area. (John D.)

We can not afford to give an inch. Where I live in ILL. our registration money years ago was used to build a warming shelter in one of our forest preserves that we were allowed to snowmobile in. We have now been banned from the use of most of the preserves and shelters.

Let them know you support use of these "public" facilities to enjoy our recreational sport.    

Join a club to preserve our sport.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I just got this email from Bombardier:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Have you ever snowmobiled in Yellowstone or Grand Teton National Park?

Do you EVER want to snowmobile in Yellowstone or Grand Teton National Park?

This snowmobiling mecca is in danger of being closed to our sleds. We need your help keep the trails open. This is the last comment period for public input. It is urgent you respond immediately! Comment period ends May 29th. You can make a real impact in just 10 minutes:

1) Copy, paste, print, sign and mail the following letter to the “Winter Use Draft SEIS Comments” team. [5 minutes]
2) Fill out an additional web form and submit at: http://legislation.siteobjects.com/?lid=1 [2 minutes]
3) Sign the online petition at http://www.PetitionOnline.com/CSAT/ [2 minutes]
4) Forward this e-mail to your snowmobiling friends and family. [1 minute]

If you can only do one thing, please sign and mail this letter.

You can find out more about the issue at www.snowmobile.org and www.snowmobileacsa.org.

The future of snowmobiling on public lands is in your hands! Please help!

Date:_, 2002

Winter Use Draft SEIS Comments
Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
PO Box 352
Moose, WY 83012

Dear Yellowstone and Grand Teton Park Management Team,

I support the concepts contained in a modified version of Alternative 2 of the SEIS that was developed by the Cooperating Agencies because it continues to allow snowmobile access to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and to the John D Rockefeller, Jr. Memorial Parkway on an individual/personal basis. Individual travel by snowmobile provides the best way to experience the magnificent natural features of the Parks in the winter.

I support reasonable limits on snowmobiling, and in particular, I support the advanced sale of park entry permits and adequate National Park Rangers in place for security and guidance.

I believe the speed limit from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful should be 35 mph. I support the strict enforcement of speed limits and regulations that prohibit off-road travel and, restrictions on non-motorized uses in wildlife winter ranges and fragile thermal areas.

I support reasonable restrictions on snowmobiling in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and realize that Yellowstone is a special place that needs special recognition.

I also encourage you to use partnerships with the surrounding communities, counties and states to expand educational opportunities that inform winter visitors regarding Park rules, user ethics, visitor safety and appreciation of the Park resources.

I am also hoping that you will adopt an Adaptive Management Plan for the Parks. In these days of constant technological advances, only a plan that can change with the times is fitting for the Park System.

Snowmobiling is a fun family sport, enjoyed by my family and by many other Americans.

Sincerely,

(Signature) (Printed Name) City, State, Zip

–––––––––

We value our relationship with you. If you prefer not to receive e-mails like this from Bombardier, clisk on the link below and we’ll automatically unsubscribe you. We’re sorry, but we can’t reply to e-mail messages on other topics.

Event dates, product specifications and promotion details are subject to change. Visit your local authorized Ski-Doo dealer for more information.

Copyright 2002 Bombardier. All rights reserved. Bombardier permits reproduction of the contents of this e-mail for publicity and promotional purposes. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. Mention of third-party products is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither a recommendation nor an endorsement.
[/b][/quote]

We should all do this by the deadline.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put in my letters of support for alternative #2 the first day that the letters could be sent.  I also received the Bombarier email as well, only to lose it to the Klez virus a couple of days ago.  

1 - 15 of 15 Posts