Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there mobile fans.
I ofetn like to view this site and much enjoy reading the different forums, but not being in the US or Canada often feel a little left out. So I thought I would show you what its like here in Japan and here is a link to one of my buddies snowmobile operation up in Hokkaido
http://www.nisekosnowmobileadventures.com/sm/
Just copy and paste and then watch the movie links and this will give you an idea of what we like here. I was promted tonight to send this as I was reviewing the Yamaha forum on track lengths and most people opted for the 144 and 151 's, which are great as I have a RX1 05 with a 144 and a 07 Apex MTX Se with a 162, but as there is lots of powder here and steep hills the long tracks are essential otherwize there is lots of digging to be done. When I say powder I don't mean a couple of feet, here it can snow 60 to 80cm over night or in 24 hours, so I guess it might be similar to Utah. Anyway just wanted to pitch in and say hi to all and if you are ever out this way come up and we can do some riding, as each weekend we meet up and head to the high alpine Japan mountain roads and fields which are awesome fun.

Regards
Jason Jansen
an Aussie living in Japan (Nagano Hakuba)

·
Registered
329 Posts
hello.

good vids. lots of snow there. didn't even know you guys got snow.

jr

·
Registered
441 Posts
I worked out the curency exchange and I thought I'd post it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've rounded up the costs using Can $$ but with todays exchange rate it'll be about the same for the US $$.
Tour 1 - Back Country X - 25000 JPY = $208 Can/US
Tour 2- Powder Hounds - 34500 JPY = $287 Can/US
Tour 3 - Powder Boss- 45,000 JPY = $375 Can/US

·
Registered
496 Posts
Why do you guys in the video have so many Poo's ? I would have thought that would be Yamaha country.

Dont feel left out your one of us . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you guys in the video have so many Poo's ? I would have thought that would be Yamaha country.

Dont feel left out your one of us . :thumbsup:[/b]
G' Day Bone Daddy
The Japanese are friends of all things foreign, there are as many Artic Cats, Poos as you call them as there are Yamahas. The people with the snowmobile business they imported a whole bunch through the states as it worked out cheper that way than going with new yamahas, as in fact they are probly a little more costly here than for what they retail for in the states.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello.

good vids. lots of snow there. didn't even know you guys got snow.

jr[/b]

G " Day yep lots of people are amzed Japan has snow in fact there are more than 500 ski resorts on this little island and where I live we have an annual snowfall of about 12 to 15 metres of snow in a season, which is usually early December through till about mid may. So thers no lack of snow here. I guess as Japan is covered by a land mass of which 83% of is covered in mountains and due to its close proximity to Russia and Siberia when the cold winds blow across the Japan Sea they pick up huge amounts of precipitation and then when these cloudes hit land fall and then the mountains we just get bobarded with snow. Proble here though as with steep terrain we get are fair share of avalanches, but you have to take the good with the bad and having 1000 cc's of power underneath you is a great way to help avoiding the avalanches, even though we often start them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Is that a volcano in the background of the video ? It looks very familar , Ive seen it in movies or something.

·
Registered
935 Posts
WOW, Now that is snow. I knew Japan gets snow a dnthey ski out or over there (?) but I had no idea you get hammered like that!! We need a lot more of that in the States. A lot of areas have had doughts for several years. SO snow has been dismal as well as sales.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Great vid clips, I don't know why but it seems out of place to hear someone speaking Japanese in the background.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great vid clips, I don't know why but it seems out of place to hear someone speaking Japanese in the background.[/b]
Hi Jason F
Jason J from Japan, actually in the background of those clips they are speaking English with an Australian accent. Soory guess you Fols in the Northern Hemisphere don't understand our auusie slang. Anyway all the guys that day were Aussies and Kiwis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that a volcano in the background of the video ? It looks very familar , Ive seen it in movies or something.[/b]
Bone Daddy
The Mountain in the background is a volcano known as Mt. Yotei, but it looks very similar to Mt. Fuji which you may have seen in any movie relating to Japan. This area where the video was shot is called Niseko and it is a powder playground for skiers and boarders, with collosal amounts of snow, average winter temps around -10 deg in the day and -15 during the nights. Sorry have to use the metric sytem, as am not used to the farenheight.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Hi Jason F
Jason J from Japan, actually in the background of those clips they are speaking English with an Australian accent. Soory guess you Fols in the Northern Hemisphere don't understand our auusie slang. Anyway all the guys that day were Aussies and Kiwis.[/b]
I caught the Australian accent ehh? Love it too !

Your Vids are awesome/ great snow conditions ! Welcome to the site, and remember, this is SnowmobileWORLD.com so that would most definetly include Japan. It's so nice to see our sport enjoyed all over the planet.

Now I must admit that frequent avalanches would be a bit scary.

Snow4

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Great stuff!

Guess buying a Yammi in Japan is like trying to buy a BRP in Canada right now.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
good vid...

Rick :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts