Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been awhile since i have been around, but i finally have internet again. But anyways i just got a few quick questions.

I have an 05 Renegade 800, and i am lookin for a some quick power. I am running a 2" track, but nothing else. I am leaning toward a clutch kit, and dropping each gear 1 tooth. I'm not really interested in doing to many really major mods, but i want this thing to run a whole lot stronger than it is.

Any advice, or opinions would be appreciated,

Bauer

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Personally, once you had checked your engine over, (reeds, raves, compression etc) I'd start with the clutch kit, if you still want more, then drop a tooth up top. My point is just to do one thing at a time ... I did both at once and ended up going back to stock gearing.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks alot mike, thats a good point. Are you still running stock reeds, or have you changed them up? What about a clutch kit, any brands or certain things i should really be lookin for?

All in all, i don't care if my top end goes from 100 MPH to 80, but i want to get there RIGHT NOW!! Hahah

Bauer

·
Registered
441 Posts
I dropped from a 21 tooth top gear(stock Gade) to a 19 tooth top gear(stock Summit) on my 600 Gade with a 1.75" lugged trac and it gets the hole shoot a lot of the time on the trail. I've rode with more than a few 800s in the twisties and it pulls just as hard if not harder than they doo corner to corner. Made a big diff. for boon dockin too. I also added invert/exvert driver cogs due to the extra ratching that my track did in the powder. Together it's a great set-up if you don't mind losing some top end.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
For clutch kit, Id go with either Bill Cudney or Dynamo-Joe. Cant go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sounds like a clutch kit is the way to go. You might gain in the top but where you gain is your bottom & mid. I put a Cudneyracing clutch kit in mine 2 years ago & it is awesome. I am going to change my top gear this year :D

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Bauer,

What seems to work well on the 800 is going a tiny bit leaner on the main jets (leave the jet needles alone). Having said that, I would install a Holtzman Tempa Flow to give added insurance against burn down in the very cold as they keep the jetting range correct regardless of outside temps. When these big blocks are jetted just right and the top end is maximized, temperature changes are trouble. If you are doing top speed runs, make sure you can get the best fuel available from retailers that sell lots of premium gasoline. Not the corner garage that rarely sells 91 octane and its stale in the ground. Gearing changes are good for modifications in traction (picks or paddles) but keep in mind that the power / torque falls rapidlly after 8000 rpm so gear changes should only come after clutching is optimized for your chosen driving style.

Good Luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts