Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled has been rollin great all winter, i notice something holding me back yesterday, when i first started off in the morning, and i stoped and checked everything did not see anything,lift the back and drop it thought maybe ice, nothing. brake rotor free,bogie wheels fine, track is rollin in the air,then it went away, then today same thing happen took off in the morning and it was draging agan and i smelled rubber burning, i was low on gear oil filled it back up thought that was it, still drags when im coming to stop, loosen track checked all the wheels there spinning free, also notice when my sons are on it i here a rattling coming from the back when they pass sounds like clickers.pretty loud, hyfax are new cut perfect. is it posible to smell rubber if a bearing is going out on my drive, could that be my rattle noise sound like grinding ballbearings.. anybody ever have this problem,just had the offset set by a pro, is there anything in the clutch that can lock up and burn rubber not shure were to look and why it's locking up,,bad belt maybe.Thank you DAVE

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the belt and clutches?[/b]
Have not looked at the clutch,belt seems to be fine,had a shop set my offset and they took out two shims from one of the clutches, they are two big thin washers, size of a silver dollar,I looked under my tunnel and noticed the tunnel protectors had been rubbing my track,there making grooves(1/2inch deep) in my track ribbs,but there is a 1/2 inch of space between track and protectors,looks to be normal, im going to drop the track and see whats up there, cant see why it would rub like that, my limiter strap bolt come out last nite not shure if that what cause the grooves in track, not shure what the heck is going on. Thanks dave

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
my limiter strap bolt come out last nite not shure if that what cause the grooves in track, not shure what the heck is going on. Thanks dave[/b]
I'd think that with the limiter strap bolt missing, the sled would lay back on the track under acceleration, which definitely could cause the grooves you speak of, which in turn very well could be the burning rubber smell you noticed.
I'd replace the limiter bolt and see how she looks from there.....
(just my opinion for what it's worth, I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd think that with the limiter strap bolt missing, the sled would lay back on the track under acceleration, which definitely could cause the grooves you speak of, which in turn very well could be the burning rubber smell you noticed.
I'd replace the limiter bolt and see how she looks from there.....
(just my opinion for what it's worth, I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time)[/b]
Yes i think the grooves come from strap coming off, plus my track was lose, fixed all that and it's still draging and the rubber smell is still there not all the time seems like when the sled runs for a while it stops draging,, cant figger it out , my speedometer seems to be off,, way off,,, in speed when im flying fast it's only reading 30 40 mph, wounder if my bearing on speedo side is bad. i here a clatering sound when my boys are on the sled only here it from the back under track when they pass by, Thanks dave

·
Registered
393 Posts
Is your track track adjusted properly now? Is it rubbing on one side?
If you roll your sled up on one side you can see the axle bearing on that side quite easily. If the bearing is shot you will know as soon as you look at it. If the speedo side bearing is just a little bad it will take out the speedo drive!
Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your track track adjusted properly now? Is it rubbing on one side?
If you roll your sled up on one side you can see the axle bearing on that side quite easily. If the bearing is shot you will know as soon as you look at it. If the speedo side bearing is just a little bad it will take out the speedo drive!
Good luck![/b]
I rotated the secondary clutch with the belt on and it spun, did'nt feel anything tite or sticking. and how will i know if the bearing is bad by looking at it will it be burned up blue lookin. you would figger if something is draging or seased it would be hot,, i put my fingers were the bearings go under the tunnel and no heat, no heat on drive axle,clutch or secondary,Could a bad belt cause my sled to drag this ski doo is driving me nuts, think im going back to Yahmaha less problems. thank you Dave from madison

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rotated the secondary clutch with the belt on and it spun, did'nt feel anything tite or sticking. and how will i know if the bearing is bad by looking at it will it be burned up blue lookin. you would figger if something is draging or seased it would be hot,, i put my fingers were the bearings go under the tunnel and no heat, no heat on drive axle,clutch or secondary,Could a bad belt cause my sled to drag this ski doo is driving me nuts, think im going back to Yahmaha less problems. thank you Dave from madison[/b]
did you check the track clips. they do go bad and your sled will drag, the rubber smell is from your hyfax rubbing on the rubber insted of the steel clips. this happened on my 97 mach z. i replaced the track with a used won i had laying in the garage and the problem when't away.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you check the track clips. they do go bad and your sled will drag, the rubber smell is from your hyfax rubbing on the rubber insted of the steel clips. this happened on my 97 mach z. i replaced the track with a used won i had laying in the garage and the problem when't away.[/b]
YES your rite the track is shot, clips are worn down BAD, and the hyfax is rubbing on the rubber, I just put new ones on. and thats when the draging started. I still have this sound of clicking bearings under my track, took chaincase off did not see anything loose my oil was milky green,bogies are rolling free, cant feel any drag when i turn the secondary clutch, I here the clicking when i lift it up and gas it, but i cant tell were its coming from weather it's the drive axel,rear axle, or bogies, it realy sounds like a automatic BB gun hiting the tunnel, and if it is a drive axel bearing should'nt have locked up by now. or i would feel heat when i touch the inside tunnel by axel bearing, could a bearing still roll and be bad.Thank you Crash Dummy

·
Registered
5 Posts
YES your rite the track is shot, clips are worn down BAD, and the hyfax is rubbing on the rubber, I just put new ones on. and thats when the draging started. I still have this sound of clicking bearings under my track, took chaincase off did not see anything loose my oil was milky green,bogies are rolling free, cant feel any drag when i turn the secondary clutch, I here the clicking when i lift it up and gas it, but i cant tell were its coming from weather it's the drive axel,rear axle, or bogies, it realy sounds like a automatic BB gun hiting the tunnel, and if it is a drive axel bearing should'nt have locked up by now. or i would feel heat when i touch the inside tunnel by axel bearing, could a bearing still roll and be bad.Thank you Crash Dummy[/b]
yes, it could roll over like everything is ok, until heat gets into the bearing. you may not be able to feel the heat on the hosing but if the bearing is running dry it will make noise. you can also get a clicking noise if the clips are catching on the leading edge of the hyfax or if the clips have ran on the skid rails. check the front and rear of the skid and see if the hyfax seem loose. you can also cut about 1/2" chanfer in the leading edge of the hyfax, this will give you more clearence as the track rotates past the hyfax.
other thinings to ceack:
if you are using the old aluminum wheels whit rubber on them, any small piece of rubber missing can make a clicking sound, if the bearing are more than a season or two old take the wheel/bearing assembly off the sled and make sure they roll freely. they should spin a long time before they stop, so if they feel like there tight or gritty feeling you should replace the bad ones. it's easy to do and not very expensive.
hope this helps, let me know how it goes. Scott

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dumb question but I gotta ask.. Is your brake OFF or maybe it is OFF but stuck ON..?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dumb question but I gotta ask.. Is your brake OFF or maybe it is OFF but stuck ON..?[/b]
No it's not the brake, I found out that my steel clips on the track are worn down low, so that makes it run on the rubber on the track which cause's the drag and rubber burning smell ,need new clips, I think the clicking sound(under the track) is a bearing about to go. took it out on the trail yesterday, road it hard, thought the bearing would lock up but it ran and rolled great just have this clicking that i can'nt figure out were it's coming from under track.over the summer im going to get a new track and im shure i will find the clicking problem.Thank's Crash Dummy

·
Registered
76 Posts
No it's not the brake, I found out that my steel clips on the track are worn down low, so that makes it run on the rubber on the track which cause's the drag and rubber burning smell ,need new clips, I think the clicking sound(under the track) is a bearing about to go. took it out on the trail yesterday, road it hard, thought the bearing would lock up but it ran and rolled great just have this clicking that i can'nt figure out were it's coming from under track.over the summer im going to get a new track and im shure i will find the clicking problem.Thank's Crash Dummy[/b]

That clicking sound is most likely one or both of the back bog. wheels. my sled had that sound for a couple of weeks. I had my son drive it while I laid across the seat,not real safe I know, and thats what it was, replaced and sound went away

·
Registered
852 Posts
could the hyfax be just a touch too long catching the track in the back sometimes? thats pretty common, it makes a nasty click, thumpy sound.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
you can replace track clips yourself or have it done I used to have a 1985 plus 521 and had to replace them every now and then no need to buy a new track missing track clips will make the track hot / and lose thats where the noise and drag / burning smell is coming from

1 - 17 of 17 Posts