Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple of years I have been just living with the pain of a very sore thumb after riding any distance at all.

Due to a rather nasty motorcycle accident about 8 years ago, I have ver limited movement of my thumb. (1 plate, 4 screws holding it together)  Has anyone ever replaced a thumb throttle with a motorcycle style twist grip?

Can this be done?

If not, are there any other ways around this, other that stopping?  Can you buy replacement levers that make a shorter pull.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife had the same complaint (as do a lot of women because of their small hands). We bought a thumb support made of neoprene from our local aftermarket supplier (Royal Distributing in Canada, on the 'net). The support is much like a neoprene knee brace and has helped her immensely. I've looked for replacement throttles-I always thought a pull set-up like the brake lever would be easiest, but haven't found any. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
They make finger throttles for jetskis so you might be able to get one of them to work.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
dpaige,
try a two stage throttle from ski-doo, you are hearing from a thumb sore cry baby here and those work with a lot less work to install than a twist throttle. i'm not sure how a heated grip would work on a twist.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Put different carb springs in, like 36mm carb springs in a 40mm body. Test first and run isopropyl alcohol so the don't freeze up, or go to flat slide carbs. Another way that doesn't cost anything but may be hard to get used to is, turn throttle mechanism forward so your right index finger actuates it on front of handle bar, (note this is the unsafest way so try other ideas first) it would still be less apt to stick than a twist grip, as they freeze and stick in winter. I personally go with lighter springs. Good luck!! Note progressive throttle still is harder on thumb than flatslides on a common rack system. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a cruise mate on my Arctic Cat triple touring used it all last season worked good but had to change lever pin bushings after about a 1000 miles so the safety switch would work right they cost two dollars at cat and the way the cruise mate installs you can remove it and nobody would no it was on and you can put it on another sled it requires 2 1/16" holes drilled in the original lever. I carry 2 extra bushings and the original pin and clip with me just incase it would break.  

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pull the slides outta the carbs, then cut about 4 wraps outta the springs, reinstall slides and feel that easy throttle now.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
A friend of mine always puts on a twist throttle.  He just buys a replacement moto-bike twist grip and re-solders the stop at the end of the stock throttle cable to fit.  Voila! No more sore thumbs, if you don't mind a cold hand.  He gets rid of the heating element.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
one of my biggest complaints in the car business is the inconsistent positioning of all controls from model to model and make to make. do not put on another control to allow you to have two types of throttle on one sled it is going to be a stag party in a dynomite shack what i mean is it will be an accident going to happen.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I always thought a ATV type thumb throttle would work pretty good. Nice and smooth, and you'd be able to touch off full throttle easily unlike a twist throttle on a snowmobile

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a cruisemate and it is wonderful.  My neighbor bought a sled that had a motorcycle throttle on it and it works fine.  I beleive he does have a hand warmer in it.  I can check if you'd like (email @ [email protected])

1 - 18 of 18 Posts