Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled in question:  '97 Formula III.  It has a single stage throttle lever and after riding a few miles my thumb is killing me.  Is there anything I can do to make this pull softer?  I have an entire '96 parts sled, which has the two stage throttle lever.  I don't know how I can swap it over without destroying the grips though.  Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
In 97...were the stock throttles single or two stage? I bought mine with a two stage...just curious as to what stock was?

·
Registered
172 Posts
try using compressed air in the end of the bar and just pull and turn   should come right off       use a heat gun and try heating it up is that doesn't work       one other thing that will be better is to get your hands on a set of flatside from a 99 Mach       way easier throttle pull and better throttle response. should bolt right up too(with a little jetting)

·
Registered
668 Posts
My 99 HO came with the same single-stage thumb throttle.  
I switched the thumb throttle with my 97 583 two-stage.

All i did was use dish-soap and worked it into the grip to remove it.  Then I carfully slid  the old throttle off, sliding over the heat wires.  Then carefully silde the new one on.  Again i used dish soap to make it more lubricated.  It did this on the HO and 583 and did not mess up eigther heat wire.  both are working fine.

One more thing -  the two stage throttle does not travel the same distance to the bar.  So you will have less cable length pull.  I took a heat gun and heated up the two-stage throttle and bent it our futher.  Now it has more than enough cable pull.  Remember to re-sync your carb slides and cable adjustment when you are done.

good luck.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
What is the problem with the single stage? Just that your thumb get's tired?

·
Registered
668 Posts
in my experience,  i find that using the single stage is great for holding it wide open for long amounts of time.   but when it comes to real tight and twisty trails and I am constantly on and off the gas, then the two-stage is ALLOT more comfortable with the round-body carbs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly, Rocketman.

I don't think I'd need to sync the carbs since I'd actually be using the throttle lever it was originally setup for but can you explain how this is done?  I remember reading something about holding the slide open with a drill bit but don't remember the rest.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Jet- I dont understand your last reply,  Originally, you asked if there is a way to remove the throttle with out damage?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After you answered how to remove the throttle, you suggested that I sync the carbs if I switch the throttle levers.  The carbs came off of the '96, from which I would be taking the 2 stage throttle.  Therefore, I wouldn't need to sync the carbs.  I asked how carb syncing is done because I figured if I have some time I'll do it anway.

Sorry for the confusion, I hope that cleared it up.

How do you get the dish-soap under the grip?  Just dip the end of the bar in a water/soap solution?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If I had your problem, I would ride more.  Your thumb just needs more strength and endurance.  Ride every day until your fat, lazy thumb looks like Arnold.  Ha!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ok- gotcha,  i didn't know you were changing the carbs too...

As for the soap, I put it in a spray bottle and keep spraying it on the edge of the grip, while twisting the end of it.  Edventually it works loose and the water works its way down the grip.  I have also heard allot of people say compressed air works really good too. (like 1000imp mentioned)

the next 4 images are out of the 99 shop manual,  hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts