Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good website on spark plug indexing, i have been in a load and they dont show any pictures or anything.  So does anyone know for one with pictures.

·
Registered
308 Posts
jwheeler, You must have a "FICHT" Polaris Frontier, huh? Those are the only engines I'm familiar with indexing the plugs for. I don't think you will be able document any advantage with any engines that don't have direct fuel injection.

If you do want to index, just put a mark on the ceramic insulator that corresponds to the plug gap. Try various plugs until you find the ones that face the gap the way you want it. You can also vary the torque a bit to get the gap direction you want as long as you don't get carried away.

Personally, I think you will find it to be a waste of time. I don't even do it on my FICHT outboard.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
With the current design of todays 2 stroke engines and the new plugs of today there is no real or documentable gain in power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
paul I think indexing is setting your sparkplug so the spark is facing the middle of the cylinder. I know some people do this in dragracing cars, because my car is set up like that.

for jwheeler i heard if you cant get it set right by altering the torque you put it in at, then you can use a thin washer.  

Zagg

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok gus im mixed up then, i mean different burn mixtures on plugs, rich,lean,brown,black you know what i mean now??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts