Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the BR9ES plugs in their 2002 MXZ 700'S? I've heard that there was no power difference, the BR9ES'S just fouled more often. I'm wondering if it's worth switching or should I stick with the BR9ECS'S? Price is a factor as well as availability, the BR9ECS's are sometimes hard to find.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Snowtech had an item in there last magazine that said unless you like spending those big bucks go ahead and use the BR9ESs in place of the ECSs. Because they will work just fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does that apply to models with DPM also? Why does SKIDOO recommend the BR9ECS instead of the BR9ES on the new sleds?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The BR9ECS is a specialty plug used on all the series 3 engines, the main reason being the ECS's use a special design to highly resist detonation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is that the same for '03 REV's? They recommend the ECS's for those as well. I don't want to take the chance of detonation, but I also don't like the price tag of the ECS's.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Think about this guys. Wer'e spending $7000 to $9500 on these machines is it worth cheaping out for a few bucks especially while the sled is under warranty? Why give Bombi an excuse for not honoring the warranty?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thats funny because the es plugs were fine untill rotax couldnt get their 800s to run. What changed? I have been running the same br9es plugs in my 00700 for over 11000 miles now. Fog the engine in the spring, start it in the fall same plugs going on three years now. Never been a big plug changer, if it dosent miss why change it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The ECS plugs have a larger ceramic insulator on the electrode. It has nothing to do with less fouling. It is there to disipate heat away faster (so ya don't burn a hole in your piston)
I called ski-doo engineering and they are recomending it in ALL of their sleds now, even in their older ones. (anything to avoid a warrenty claim I guess). On the side, (and off the record) the guy told me you really don't have to use em. At $7 bucks a pop (I was fouling them at the rate of about 4-6 per weekend) a guy can go broke.
If your 02' is fouling plugs like crazy, jet down!
You can safetly go down 3 points (sizes) on the 800 (but do it 1 at a time).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys! Just went out and bought a pair of BR9ECS's $22.00 canadian money. Should last me the year.

·
Registered
372 Posts
MY 2001 800MXZ COME WITH BR9ES ,ONCE THEY DID THE RECALL ON THE PISTONS THEY CHANGED THE PLUGS TO BR9ECS...THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGED WAS THE PRICE OF THE PLUGS....BUT THEY WORK GOOD.

·
Registered
296 Posts
the diffrence of the br9es and the br9ecs is for reducing detonation, after the 01 piston recall, doo went with the "countersunk" design, (cs). this is supposed to dissipate heat better. i dont know why they are so damn expensive...maybe ngk realized they had the market cornered on this specialty plug and jacked up the price?

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Trapper is being very vague about the jetting thing.

DO NOT... I repeat - DO NOT assume that you can go down 3 jet sizes on an MXZ 800!!!!!! Unless you have done some mods to take care of some problems DON'T jet for full throttle operation and think that you will be safe at all speeds. If you are fouling plugs, the first thing you want to check is you oil pump setting. Once you are sure of that setting, and you are still fouling plugs, check float levels first. Important fact---Doo motors like it rich!!!--- If you still feel that you need to jet down, check your plugs and wash different speeds. If you tweek it for full throttle - you WILL BURN DOWN!!! Midrange runs lean and if you don't believe me, just start asking around and read some other boards. The problem is there.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Idooski is correct. One should not assume that they can simply just jet down 3 sizes. But again, you should not have to make "mods" to do this. Precautions should be taken as he states (piston wash, plug color, etc).
I would be more concerned about mid-range burndowns when playing around with air-box mods than jetting down for a richness prob.
A good set of EGT gauges are worth their weight in melted pistons and scuffed cylinders (in other words, one burn-down would have paid for them)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts