Snowmobile World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Vmax 600 SX. It was titled in Michigan as a 1998. I checked the NGK manual and it listed a BR9ECS plug for a 98-99 vmax 600sx it listed a BR9ES for the 97 vmax 600 sx. I checked the clutch guard and it said BR9ES. Anyone know the difference in these plugs. I also have another question should I run the gaps more open or different plugs if the sled is piped and ported?

Sorry about the stupid questions - I new to the sport and just getting my feet wet. Haven't even rode the newly purchased sled yet this year. Just sit in the garage and rev the engine. Thanks for your help

Silverbullet

·
Registered
180 Posts
the break donw on the homepage doesn't have the info the book does

let me check my ngk book and get back to you tomarrow
if no ones answered yet

off the top of my head i think its an angle ground electrode with normal tip.
cant remember for sure though.

i do know the br9es work fine and are cheaper too!!!

jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
jimme is correct. ECS has a shorter side electrode for heat reasons. Believe the twin cylinder SX's run the BR9ES and the triple cylinders run the BR9ECS's. Understand the reason for this is that the electrode on the ES could become too hot and melt off, falling into the cylinder. The ECS electrode cools faster. Have not heard of this happening but would not want to chance it. Yamaha usually says these things from their experience. As for gap, run stock setting. Wider gap takes more energy to jump. If you have too high a compression and too big a gap it is possible for the compression to "blow out" the spark and not fire correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent an email messege after posting to NGK technical service to findout more; here is their response

>The ECS series is used in the high performance models and has a stronger
>ground electrode designed to withstand vibration etc.

>Sincerely,
>Jon MacQuarrie
>Technical Customer Service Representative

Thanks for your input.

Silverbullet

Reactions: 700trippy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sent an email messege after posting to NGK technical service to findout more; here is their response

The ECS series is used in the high performance models and has a stronger
ground electrode designed to withstand vibration etc.
Sincerely,
Jon MacQuarrie
Technical Customer Service Representative
Thanks for your input.

Silverbullet
Hey
Though old thread, i do have the same BR9ECS plugs on my 97 600xt. Good to know all these info. On the other hand on my 700 triple it has BR9ES

1 - 6 of 6 Posts