Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of years there has been much speculation on what the next big player in the snowmobile market will be. Honda of course being the biggest. The one name I have not heard is Kawasaki? To me they would be a more logical choice over Honda due to the fact that they were once in the business and could easily take the old designs and make new? To few of us remember the 1982 550 Intercepter. If that sled had been produced with IFS and a good rear suspension They may not even have got out of the market. Not to mention they also have some pretty awesome 4 stroke bike engines that would give The folks at Yamaha a real scare!!!! !!!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't see Kawi getting back if the snow game, markets rather flooded right now, Honda I can see though, just because of the exclusive dealer thing they're going for. IMO

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it comes down to dealers Kawasaki has between bikes, atv's and watercraft quite a few dealers that could sell for them also!

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's not the amount of dealers, it's the fact that honda is pushing dealers to sell only honda, no current snow brands. The Kawi. dealers can sell what they want, my local dealer sells Ski-doo and kawi. There is one around that sells Honda and Doo, but they are slowly migrating out of the bombardier stuff. Honda claims after they go exclusive they will have something for the northern dealers to sell in the winter, a pretty good indicatin they will be comming out with some sort of snow machine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most dealers are Independent and I do not think they would be willing to put all there eggs in one basket. Even alot of yamaha dealers sell other brands. I have even seen some dealers selling up to 3 brands!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I thought Kawasaki was in some financial trouble already? If so, there's no way they'd come back to snowmobiles.

Honda has been rumoured to be "joining the market" for 30 years now and nothing has happened yet. I personally doubt it ever will.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Originally posted by BGTRK19472@Dec 3 2002, 11:26 AM
I have even seen some dealers selling up to 3 brands!!
In baldwin michigan there is a dealer that sells all 4 brands. I beleave they also sell honda and kawasaki

·
Registered
678 Posts
I talked to two different dealers and they both said Honda is pushing them to sell only Honda within the next couple years, one of which has already stopped selling Suzuki and is now Honda only. I know Suzuki dosn't make sleds, but he said it made the transition easy because he dosn't care about sleds anyway. From the way I took it, Honda is making it worth their while to be only a honda dealer.

But who knows, speculation is just that. Maybe it's only certain dealers? Dealers that move a certain volume? who knows. Corporate big wigs never make much sense in the decisions they make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts