Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic was supposed to say "Is it just me or are my headlights
just not fast enough" When I am riding at night I seem to over
run my headlights at about 70mph. How do you guys or girls race on the trails when the only light is from your headlights. Fill me in, please. Thanks, Paul. :

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I hope you're not serious.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What are you doing racing on the trails at night?  When you say "Over Run" you mean what?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I think he means over driving the headlights. In a car your headlights don't pick up objects far enough away for you to avoid colliding with them

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
i would say if thats happening slow down

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Put a H.I.D Buld into your sled and you'll see what you never knew was around. You'll also get that blue tinge but boy are they bright. $20 well spent. Also make sure that they are aimed correctly if there is an adjustment.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have overran my headlights, and yes I run the H.I.D bulbs, Animals, Mailboxes, and telephone pole cables don't know what kind of bulb your running, or how fast you are going! I don't care if you know exactly where in farmer Bobs field you are at! A deer, a broken down sled, maybe that trash you missed on the way out WILL POP UP at night. I don't care how many years you have been riding at night or day. Say your prayers it's gonna catch up to you sooner or later! I just hope my wife and family are not riding the same trails as you!
Even at night a lake isn't safe, save the sport, keep the insurance costs down and most of all let us all feel at ease when we are running the local trails by the senic lake side.
    Don't get me wrong my '01 mxz 700 likes the speed to, but do it in the right places at the right time. yes Insurance does cover it but it would sure would suck to have to sleep at night when you put someone else in the hospital and their daughter or son has to wonder where Dad is on christmas !
I know it's fun but think about it man, BE SAFE!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I find it hard to believe you could out run the speed of light !!!
Boy thats one fast sled, more likely you are out running the speed of your brain. Which in by reading your post wouldn't be all that fast. Anyone who races at night on public trails deserves to crash or even worse. It's people like you that spoil the sport for everyone!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey all, don't be fooled about these so called H.I.D. bulbs. They are not real HID, in a lot of cases they are just a coating on the bulb that tricks the eye. The light is whiter, but not really brighter. There are a few companies that make high performance halogen bulbs that really do work. Piaa offers Super White and Exteme White bulbs that are brighter and whiter and Sylvania also offers "SilverStar" bulbs that are bright white, high output. But these bulbs are usually start at $35 a piece. But just so you know, they are still nowhere close to real H.I.D. light output.  H.I.D. setups cost about $250 to $700 and have a bulb, ballast and ignitor and give you 30% more light than a halogen. I know they make these kits for cars, trucks, SUV's and motorcycles. I have not yet heard of someone installing HID on their sled. If you are going that fast, you better slow down or you won't have to worry about you headlights for much longer.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
My buddies only pay 15 to 30 for the bulbs and they make a tremendouse differece. Don't buy the cheap ones though.
Caleb

·
Registered
307 Posts
I personally don't agree with the brighter lights, don't you guys care if the guy your going to meet up with on the trail can see or not.  Those bulbs are to bright and they are blinding,  oh but second thought maybe i should put 3 of them in my sled and run that.
If you can't see get your eyes checked or don't run at night.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
slow down if your out running your headlight.55mph at night on some machines ,as new as 99, is to fast.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Glad I don't ride in Green Bay!  If your out running your headlight, then i think it would be time to lay off the throttle a little..

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IndySKS @ Aug. 18, 2002, 11:28am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I find it hard to believe you could out run the speed of light !!!
Boy thats one fast sled, more likely you are out running the speed of your brain. Which in by reading your post wouldn't be all that fast. Anyone who races at night on public trails deserves to crash or even worse. It's people like you that spoil the sport for everyone!!![/b][/quote]
I think you're missing the concept.  When you overdrive your headlights, this means that the distance you are travelling is exceeding your capacity to react to what comes into view at night.  At lower speeds, you have more time to react to what comes into your field of view as you are physically covering less ground every second, and will also require less room to stop if needed.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'll second that wolfman!  common sense

1 - 20 of 42 Posts