Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying used sled from north of the border. The speedometer and odometer have metric measurements, do they not?.What is the suggestion here? Buy a new speedometer,one with mileage and show the old KM #s when selling or trading? I really do not want to be converting the KMs on every trip I take. Call me lazy. Someone must have some advice.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
on SkiDoo speedos you can have it read either kms or miles. All you have to do is switch the cable from one hook in to the other. The same unit can read both kms or miles. That's why you never trust the "kms" on a SkiDoo!

Last edited by Rocketman at April 24, 2002, 2:46pm

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rocketman, while the dual reading capacity of the SD speedos was a fact in the past, you will find that the new units (01 onwards for sure) no longer have this feature.  I have a 99 MX6 which had it as well as a 96 F3 but a friend`s 01 MX8 does not have it.  Besides, the conversion is really not that difficult.  All you need to do is multiply by .6 and it will get you very close.

·
Registered
171 Posts
just one thing to beware of if buying a sled equipped with the dual function speedo: in many cases the miles seem to magically transform themselves into kms at the time of sale (if you know what I mean)

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your buying used and you don't trust the milage shown on odometer a dealer can check the hours on the sled by plugging in the hand held unit into the D.E.S.S. They say every hour works out to about 25 miles.This is a simple way to verify the actual miles and not get ripped off.Also my 2001 800 mxz converts to both kph and mph only the USA models are sold in mph.

·
Registered
171 Posts
hello headgasket, just curious but did you try the two settings.  My bud`s 01 800 has the fittings for the two settings but if you try to plug it into the mph slot the speedo does not work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
MXZr,you are right,i should have actually tried the mph fitting before i opened my yap.I just assumed it would be like my 98 and work both ways.The new speedo system will be a benefit to the guys who are looking to buy used.Where abouts do you ride in Quebec,I lived in St.Bruno for about 3 years when I was younger.

·
Registered
171 Posts
hello again, I am a recent arrival to Quebec, having moved here from Ontario.  given the poor winter we just had I haven`t got a whole lot of riding in but to date it has mostly been North of Montreal in the Lanaudiere region.  Hoping winter shows up next year, not its poor snowless neighbour

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
For my '01 MXZ 600, I tried the corrector from my sister in law's '98 Formula 583 Deluxe. I worked fine. My parents ride Polarises, so I'd rather run in miles too. Besides I check my fuel consumption in mpg too. Not that liters per 100 km that the Canadian government dreamed up. When they went metric, why didn't they just go to km per liter  

Another reason to take a odometer reading with a grain of salt, what's to stop a person from just running the sled with it disconnected?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with reverend, I would never use the odometer reading as my sole criteria for purchasing a sled. The reason I brought up this topic is really related to gas milage and range. I generally use milage readings as service time as well(greasing, cleaning, checking track, etc.) and agree that using .6/mile is easy but would rather convert the  speedo to a mile meter type. Anyboby have one they want to get rid of?  BTW, what is a corrector?

·
Registered
171 Posts
mind you reverend with the historical inaccuracy of the Poo speedos, your SD set in KMS will likely read about the same as the Poo in miles, lol  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The corrector is the white plastic "gearbox" that threads on to the rear of the speedo. The speedo cable then threads on to this. The corrector that has both miles & kilometers is PN 572 0223 00.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Headgasket: you said that if  you plug into the d.e.s.s you could aprox imate the time to about 25 mile for every hour of use. That doesn't make sense to me atleast.
Senereo:
i pull the speedo cable off. Take the skidoo out for the day and run at an average of say 80-90 mile per hour( Mach Z)
What the average for that day. = 80 to 90 miles in an hour
So your theory could not really be that accurate.
Possibly way off depending on the owner.
in my opinion

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just relaying what the dealer told me.I guess they don't know what they are talking about.The number i gave was an average based on x amount of hours not just on one 80mph one hour ride.I think he said it was a number the factory came up with based on different riding habits and conditions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have heard of people connecting the speedo cable directly to the speedo head without the white plastic gearbox and it actually takes miles off you odometer. Can this be true? What an opportunity for someone to be deceitful.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Yes, this is true. That is why you go by the condition of the sled, not the odometer. My ex-renter's '98 MXZ 583 had less miles on it than my '98 MXZ 500, but it had been beat and this was noticeable.

With the digital odometer on the REV, is there a electronic sensor or pickup that detects the drive axle turning?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts