Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO those plugs are a gimmick.How is it physically possible to get "more spark" from a splitfire versus a regular plug? The only way possible to get more spark out of a plug is to increase the resistance of it,which makes the coil work harder too.Now I know that more resistance causes hotter spark,like we want that for our sleds right.
I work at an auto shop and found these plugs to be junk.Many drivability probs with them.Whomever came up with this idea is a millionare.Making suckers out of all who use them.At my shop we use AC Delco,Autolite,Motorcraft plugs.Which are all good.I would stay away from Bosch and Champions for vehicle applications.I'll stick with the NGKs for my sleds.I will never use a Splitfire in anything I own,not even my weed wacker.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have found that splitfire PLATINUM work miricals on a rotary valved engine.  Other then that they are useless in a series 3.  The regular spitfires are junk and dont offer crap.

However i have to disagree with your comment on bosch.

Bosch are probably the best built spark plug in the industry.  For cars and sleds.  

Like i said before i used to build them and compaire them to ngk and there is no comparison.  

Earlier this year when my 600 kept fouling plugs because of the high temps and moisture i was recommened by my dealer to run SUPER BOSCH.  Well i ran them and have not lost a plug yet.  Bosch is also recommended by the racing division at skidoo according to my dealer.  Someone else on this fourm also confirmed that in a previous post.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So what you are trying to say Machzzz1 is that NGK plugs suck??        Thanx I might try some bosh next year

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
No im not saying they suck.  I just havent had good luck with them in a sled.  THey work fine in my car.

Im just saying that when i talked to my dealer he told me to try the bosch.  He didnt even have the bosch to sell me i had to go else were.  

If NGK is working for you then keep using them.  But if your fouling out plugs give bosch a go.  THere basicly the same price only hard to find.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I agree with mxz7 on them causing drivability problems in automotive use anyways.Especially on obd2 and up vehicles.
They definately have a habit of throwing cyl misfire dtcs.I've
never tried any in a small engine application but as maczz1
stated in theory the should help prevent fouling in warmer temps when a jetting change has not taken place.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Let me tell you guys...at Machzzzz1's goading in the fall, I bought some splitfire platinum plugs. I put them in, it was warm, and I was breaking in my engine so I know it was rich, but he said that "YOU CAN NEVER FOUL A SPLITFIRE PLATINUM" welll......guess what....the splitfires fouled hardcore
....BUT...get this...I put NGK BR9ES in under the same conditions, and 800miles later, they are still in the sled. I will NEVER pay that much for spark plugs again. OE recommended plugs are the best choice for the sled!  

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've never tried them in a small engine application and from hearing what rocketman has to say i don't think i'll shell out the extra coin for em
The set of br9ec's in the wifes sled
got around 3000km on em and are still a nice color.The spare
one are there but maybe i'll never need em
Don't get me started on those friggin overpriced brpecs plugs though

·
Registered
858 Posts
I run NGK on all my toys and never had any problems with anything except my KAWA g4 100cc (which eats everything anyway). I change them once a year and never fouled one so i'm sticking with them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No way HOSE the splitfires are AMAZING. They make my machine way easier to start and they never FOUL.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
well snowmoking...you must have doen somethign else along with changing the plug, because they did not IMPROVE anything on my sled....and they fouled 60 miles into the bush. Lucky I had those BR9ES with me to switch in..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had good luck with NGK BR9EV's in my doo sleds.  i run BR9ES's in my 1000 though, with no problems.

what series plugs are those bosch plugs?(part numbers)

·
Registered
151 Posts
OEM spark plugs are just the cheapest, there not the best.

Machzzzz1 has and only runs splits in his 500mxz.  There the only ones that last in it.  Before he was afraid to turn it of because it was hard to get going again.  

And this season everysled that had NGKs fouled  atleast once in our group.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts