Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay everyone, I m looking for a way to get the primary split off the inner sheeve. I know a puller is needed to pull the whole unit off the crank but im just trying to get the outer off to clean it .
Alot of people say this is how they doo it since there is really no reson to pull the inter off for cleaning.

Is there any tricks to get it to pop with out hurting anything ? I herd you can dump hot water or add heat on the outer to expand it to help it off but im trying to avoid a mess. Theres a lot of belt dust in the cup so I know thats not helping things.

I have a idea but not sure if it will hurt anything ... I was going to try giving it a shot of lube(wd-40,carbclean) on the inside at the shaft and then blow some air in ther to push it to the spline . Then wedge some blocks inbetween the sheeves and work my around evenlly to force it to pop.
My consern is will this damage anything , my worst fear is damaging the crank bearing by this method. As long a I work it slow and even I should be ok ya think?. I also thought of using a wheelbarrow innertube inbetween the sheeves to push it evenly off.

ANY thoughts? im down to my last 2 things(primarys & carbs) to do then its just some odds and ends to to be done and ready.

mutt

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that you can loosen the bolt holding the primary on a few turns, but enought that it's holding well. Then start the sled and rev up the motor a little bit and it should pop off as far as the bolt will let it....just make the bolt it threaded in far enough so that the clutch does not go flying off! I have never tried this myself. I would suggest getting the DOO clutch pluller. I just pull the whole thing off and then separate the halves on the bench.

I'm sure someone else may have some other ideas. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that you can loosen the bolt holding the primary on a few turns, but enought that it's holding well. Then start the sled and rev up the motor a little bit and it should pop off as far as the bolt will let it....just make the bolt it threaded in far enough so that the clutch does not go flying off! I have never tried this myself. I would suggest getting the DOO clutch pluller. I just pull the whole thing off and then separate the halves on the bench.

I'm sure someone else may have some other ideas. Good Luck.[/b]
Yeah I think typically you need a puller but if I really wanted to get half the clutch off right now I might try this, but I guess you have to ask yourself is it worth it for what you are trying to accomplish. Hopefully I don't have to go into what could go wrong with this plan...but I don't know it sounds like if you're careful it would work.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Rick,

Don't start the motor with the clutch bolt loose, if it pops it will damage the tight fit of the governor cup to the splined shaft or worse spin the fixed half on the crank taper ruining it. Try heating the end of the governor cup while evenly prying the sliding sheeve with 2 wood blocks (get snow4 to help). Whatever you do don't let anyone convince you to hit the clutch with anything !. If that doesn't work, borrow a good quality puller (cheap ones damage the crank threads) and use lots of EP (extreme pressure) grease and hot water poured over the clutch pilot to gently convince the clutch off. I'd gladly lend you my puller but the shipping would cost more than the tool.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Bingo,,, It's off.......lol He was doing the happy dance when I pulled in the Driveway....( and here I thought it was because I was home ) Clutch part he spoke of is off and all I know is he didn't start the sled but did use some wood blocks or something...........

I know he will post later but he's busy doing whatever he was trying to get it off for. (cleaning)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Snow4

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
it should have been pretty easy to take apart. if I understand, all he was wanting to do is pull the outer half off. I scrub the face of both halves with scotch brite, so I would pull it all off.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There off :thumbsup: The wood block trick worked ! I found some blocks that were tapered and worked the half off . DOC.. there was no way I was going to start it that way :wink: , thanks for the offer on the puller , your a heck of a guy :thumbsup: . Dooman.. they did come off pretty easy after I got them to worked out a bit and loosen up off the spline, and I did clean the inner face .

Here's a few pics
dirty ones , look the arms were sticking :(

[attachment=40223:clutch.jpg][attachment=40224:clutch_2.jpg]

All clean and ready :thumbsup:
[attachment=40225:clutch_3.jpg]

mutt

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts