Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 83 srv 540 it is exellent shape. but, i was riding it and it blew up one side didnt hurt it thought just burned a hole in the piston. so i honed it and got new piston,gasket etc. and i got it back together and let it run for 20 minuites then i went out on the lake and just babyed it and it died within 5 min. i believe the oil pump isnt getting any oil to the left cylinder i would like to fix it and have oil injection still but for right now im gonna plug off the lines and run it mixed any thoughts on how to fix the oil pump or what might be causing this? by the way i have boysen reeds and its bored 40 over with a dg pipe with exhaust temp gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this burn hole, in the center of the piston, directly below the spark plug?[/b]
no its not suprisingly its wore down where the rings go and it put a small hole almost to the top but it seems like when i run it the oil isnt getting to that side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I take it this damage is on the exuast side of the piston?? sounds like a lean condition..and the other piston looks fine right?

crank seal?

Here`s a link to pistons, and what they may look like when certain things take place..
take a good look at the "BURNT-OUT BLOW-HOLE" piston..and see if that looks anything like yours? if so, read the causes right quick..I`m kinda thinking you may have a crank seal gone bad?

undefined

Also, take a look at, and read the discription for.."INTAKE SIDE SEIZURE"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it this damage is on the exuast side of the piston?? sounds like a lean condition..and the other piston looks fine right?

crank seal?

Here`s a link to pistons, and what they may look like when certain things take place..
take a good look at the "BURNT-OUT BLOW-HOLE" piston..and see if that looks anything like yours? if so, read the causes right quick..I`m kinda thinking you may have a crank seal gone bad?

undefined

Also, take a look at, and read the discription for.."INTAKE SIDE SEIZURE"[/b]
ok it is on the exhaust side and it is bored 40 over so im thinking it could be crank seal thats what i thought to begin with but also with it that old it could be the ignition too? i dno ill try the crank seal thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts