Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!!! ive seen one that interest me at a decent price but one of my friend advise me that they had alot of trouble in this year... Can i buy it whitout trouble???

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think they had a lot of crank troubles and track troubles.  

My friend had one and he through a crank.  Now he has a 2001 SRX.  And no major problems.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
They did initially have a problem with the cranks. Get the vin# and go to a Yamaha dealer and they will be able to run the number and see if it was updated.  The track didn't have a problem with durability, traction was the problem. Too small of a lug and it wouldn't hook up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Easily the best of the SRX's I've had a 98 an 00 and an 02. 98 is by far the best all around trail sled of the 3 THe crank should have been fixed under warranty. The track is a POS other than that I put 10,000 miles on my 98 with very minimal problems. cracked W arm and broken speedo cable are all I can think of. the 00 and 02 have been a nightmare though. Both are faster than the 98 but other than that they don't do anything else better. Still have the 98 but the 00 is gone and I wish the 02 was.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just bought a 98 srx 700 also, I have heard the tracks were crap , but there is a good chance it is already gone or will need changing anyway.
As for the cranks , they didn't recall them but they did warrenty them and when I bought mine I thought the crank was out , yamaha would of still covered it , I talked to the dealer which it was bought from originally and he varified the crank was done.
There was 2 other problems , the break bleed screw was not tight enough from the factory ( which should of leaked already if there is a problem)
and the ski spindles had a problem with the weld penitration.
I called Yamaha gave my V.I.N. and they were not done so they did it for me .
I think they will stand up for there product if you have any know problems.
I have a friend that had a 98 and he had 10000 km with no problems , mine has been great so far and I have 6000km
I do not think you will be dissapointed
Gerry

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never had a problem with my '98. just check the crank through the dealer & see if they will give ya a newer track. I had my .75 replaced with a .92 lug for nothing. If track is in good shape they probaly won't replace. no big deal, I would stud the track anyway. I've had 2 SRX's and my '98 was trouble free.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi Guys!!! Its done, I have purchase this SRX 98 and.... ****, i can't describe the Sensation, ITS HOT, What a difference with My XLT ahhahahhah. I tested an XC 700 too but the Choice was easy between these two sleds. The YAMMI. I like it, i like It. I checked for the Crank you talking about and the dealer said that it is ok on my sled. THe XC700 seems to have more power cuz the acceleration was a little better. What you think??? Or maybe the difference was the Track

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think the track makes more of a difference than most people think. I have a 99 and have never been touched by another 700 but I also installed a camoplast predator with 192 studs. This is a great sled in the smooth twisty trails. Most people think they are too heavy but with the right set-up the handle like you wouldn't believe. They also get faster once the suspension is right. You would be surprised of the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts