Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy thats looking at a 2000 SRX. The sled looks to be in good shape. What are these sleds like on gas? Oil? Did they have any problems with them? Is there anything he should look out for? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
These sleds are quick, No concerns and nothing to look out for,there a bulletproof sled. There is not really any reliability issues,   The srx's are great on gas even at wot.

·
Registered
530 Posts
They eat sliders.
Cold as #### with that windshield.
Not great when the trail get's rough.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have 2001 srx and the thing is a blast to ride but look at the front w arm on the suspension they like to crack at the welds. And oil use is roughly about two tanks of fuel but we full them up before the next ride.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2000 srx and its a great sled. Easy on fuel and on oil. Only problem I had was with the pwr valves, they must be cleaned every 1000 miles, if not they gum up and will break where the cables hook up. happen on 2 of my three cyl. Yamaha said they were self cleaning...... wrong! Other wise I loved the sled it rocks. Unfortunatly its for sale my Rx1 comes in tomorow

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know a guy that took full advantage of the 3 year warranty, I think the engine blew about 3 times in it, maybe just a lemon, at least Yamaha went good for it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a 99 a friend of mine has a 2000. The hyfax problem is fixable. My friend added a wheel and the problem was solved. Many have told me this would not work but it did for him. As far as the power valves go I don't what hauler is talking about, my friend has about 4000 miles on his and I have about 3000 miles on mine and neither of us have had any problems. Although I am going to clean mine before the coming season.

·
Registered
83 Posts
99 srx pull your power valves off and I bet at least one is broken where the cables connect. I know of many that have brocken but all were 2000. THe sled still runs good but lacks a bit of top end with the power valves not moving. Maybe you should hit top end more often and you probably would have noticed(just kidding).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info!
I talked to him today and he has his eyes on a MXZ 700. The dealer wouldn't take his XLT on trade.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Charlo hold the phone there buddy, dont go buy a doo. This is the only problem I had with my SRX in the three winters I drove it. Its a great sled and would recomend it highly to anyone looking at one!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hauler,
   Mine have been pulled, they don't look anything like that. What kind of oil are you using? I burn whatever the gas station has available. I was told to stick to yamalube or a full synthetic but it hasn't made a difference for me. I was curious about this a while back and was told by several people who own these machines that you could go as much as 4000 miles before cleaning. I knew one guy who went 5000 miles and the worst that happened was that he had a #### of a time getting two of the valves out but other than that they were fine. Now I am curious after seeing your situation.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Hauler you must not be driving hard enough.  Thats a lot of build up for a engine that has a self clean mode.

If you drive hard and use a syntetic oil like Amsoil they should almost not need cleaning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts