Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 1999 srx 700 and it is cutting fire, It idles good and will idle all day but when you touch the throttle it backfires and stops or goes back to idle.
Sometimes it will go 1/2 mile but mostly 50 feet then it stops- one short pull and starts good but is still acting up.
 What we did so far;checked all plugins,and safety switches ,disconnected the safety switch on carb, unhooked kill switch,unhooked key switch, unplugged and sprayed cdi box then re-connected. and it is still the same

Any help is appreciated, Thanks Rodney

·
Registered
72 Posts
the 98's had bad routing of the harness under the motor, once it wares threw you can get some funky stuff hapnin. I'd check with your dealer to see if yamaha got this figured out for the 99's, it can damage alot of componants if this is it.
If that's not it start bye checking each external coil, one bad one might be draining they others since they run in series?
then the three internal coils(have fun)

·
Registered
72 Posts
theres always the throtlle switch at the lever to be sure is adj. properly or connected. run the wires together to test, same with carb switch wires(completes the circuit)

·
Registered
259 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar problem. Turns out his power valves were sticking. He had around 4000 miles on the sled and he never even thought about cleaning them. I am told that under the right circumstances that it doesn't take much for the valves to start sticking so don't rule it out if your sled doesn't have many miles on it. Could be anything but I would check the valves before you start digging any further.

·
Registered
87 Posts
sounds like the TORS switch. I have seen 2 go bad, but both of those were '98's. there is a way to disable it(just for testing of course) but i can't remember how to do it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can the power valves effect the fire?   And what is a TORS Switch???

·
Registered
13 Posts
usually if power valves stick sled has no top end. I believe to ck TORS operation, find the wires down at the carb switch (throttle stop area on top) unplug wires and then take the harness side wiring and plug the 2 wires together and see if that helps.

HZF

·
Registered
162 Posts
Make sure if you undo the TORS switch you complete the circut.
There are 2 wires coming down from the bars going to the carbs, you need to hook them together and the 2 off the carb needs to go together
Ger

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have tried this,(Disconnecting the TORS and still the same ) Could it be the CDI box???  Or maybe the coils?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I guess it could be the valves. We cleaned them and the sled worked good yesterday but it did stop once today. Could it be that because the motor for the power valves has not worked for over a year?  He has them set about 1/2 open.   Thanks Rodney  

·
Registered
17 Posts
TORS is throttle override system......yes there is a way you can disable it....you just unplug the tors switch from the CArb...and Plug ( short the two wires ) into each other......TO see if it actually is your TORS....your throttle has a little pivot system on it....look closely..you will notice as soon as you touch your throttle it pivots forward...well.....if you put your thumb or hand in there so it will not pivot it will give you the same effectr as a stuck throttle....if you press the throttle with your hand and use your other hand to prevent the pivot ......your machine should DIE out...if it does not .....get an Ohm meter and check the resistance across the Tors switch....ask your Yamaha dealer was the restance should be....

It sounds Like the TORS switch to me......Power Valves...Impossible,
coil highly unlikely......One other thing that could cause it...is an inside coil...but they usually have problems when the Engine is hot...and the rap wires begin to expand and touch each other,,,,,,,

Check your TORS first........

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup these guys nailed it(TORS), it happened to my buddies banshee and we just connected the 2 wires on the harness and still workin fine today. :withstupid: :withstupid:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts