Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

What is the best way of starting a sled when your starter rope breaks?

Someone asked me the other day and I showed them but I am just curious how everyone does it.

I am sure everyone has a different way.

Thanks

DP

·
Registered
308 Posts
:D I just turn the key to the start or run positions. as long as the battery is charged it always starts :thumbsup: Just Kidding Never had that problem it would be interesting to know. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I use the rope and clip thats provided in the tool pouch. Wrap it around the drive clutch(make sure to wrap it the proper rotation) and then yank it. It's always a plus to have someone by the choke and throttle.

just my .02

FZ700

·
Registered
282 Posts
Get a rope and wrap it around the clutch and give it a yank. Hopefully the sled is either warm or it usually starts on the first pull. Gets to be a pain to keep on wrapping the rope around the clutch. :cussing:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Originally posted by FZ700@Oct 28 2002, 08:42 PM
I use the rope and clip thats provided in the tool pouch. Wrap it around the drive clutch(make sure to wrap it the proper rotation) and then yank it. It's always a plus to have someone by the choke and throttle.

just my .02

FZ700
i never had a rope break yet but if i did i'd use the strap & clip for the clutch too that came with my sled. Just before every winter i always replace the rope just to make sure theres not much wear on it to break. i've had ropes break on other stuff and it's not fun to get stuff started when theres no back up lol

·
Registered
745 Posts
My friends 97 670 was probably the hardest sled I ever had to pull start. I agree carry an extra rope or strap(Going to get a second one just incase)would hurt. Had ome practice on ky friends 2002 800X, the recoil sucks, must be all plastic(junk).

just my .02

FZ700

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Rap the clutch the correct way and no problems. Make sure you get the rope out of the way quickly too.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by tatalover78@Oct 29 2002, 12:29 PM
push it down a hill and pop the clutch. Works everytime. Try it, but make sure you have a big hill
Make sure you have a big hill, and a clutch.

Thats why I like electric start, you always have a backup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a SAFTEY thought on the rope start. I would NOT wrap the rope around your hand or put a loop on the rope with your hand through the loop. If the machine starts and the hook dosen't disconnect, the rope will wrap around the clutch and pull you down into the clutch faster that you can wink. This is why all starter ropes have a "T" handle on them. The "T" handle will rip out of your fingers before it pulls you down into the clutch. Put a loop in the end of the rope and put something like a screw driver, or the handle for the spark plug wrench into the loop. Use this as your 'T' handle.

Be Careful Out there.

SkipR

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think he was talking about pushing the sled off a cliff.
That is what I would want to do if my recoil broke. :sarcasm:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by SkipR@Oct 29 2002, 12:30 PM
Just a SAFTEY thought on the rope start. I would NOT wrap the rope around your hand or put a loop on the rope with your hand through the loop. If the machine starts and the hook dosen't disconnect, the rope will wrap around the clutch and pull you down into the clutch faster that you can wink. This is why all starter ropes have a "T" handle on them. The "T" handle will rip out of your fingers before it pulls you down into the clutch. Put a loop in the end of the rope and put something like a screw driver, or the handle for the spark plug wrench into the loop. Use this as your 'T' handle.

Be Careful Out there.

SkipR

Very true! We don't need anyone to be loosing any arms/hands/fingers!! :nervous:

·
Registered
85 Posts
What happens if you put the rope on in the opposite direction and start er up? Reverse at no extra charge?????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts