Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a 1990 exciter that wont keep spark, we checked before the coil with a mulitmeter and its getting current there, but after the coil its not getting any. so we changed coils and put on one that works but we still couldnt get any current to come out of it. Anyone know what could cause this?

also what is the little black box thing thats hooked  up before the coil? what does that do?

also when this broke i was just riding at about 40mph and all lights went out and just died out on me. Couldnt get it to run right since.  

oake

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if anyone has info i would appreciate it as the sled still isn't running.      thanks oak

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a 92 Exciter that just died on me when I was going around a corner up a hillside.  Though it was the CDI so I replaced it and it started, problem solved right? Wrong! went to drive it around the yard and it died again.   Then I realized it died in a turn again. so I straightened the skis out and it started back up.  Hmmm, so it ended up being one of the wires that went to the kill switch.  I wasn't able to locate it with a meter either I had to unwrap the harness and search for it.  Turns out when the skis are turn that cable get pulled pretty tight an over time the wire snapped.

Try turning the skis in all different directions and see if it starts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an 89 Exciter.  One year it started dieing on me like I turned the key off.  Wait 10 minutes then it'd start up again.  I changed the CDI and no more problems.  This is the little black box maybe an inch or 2 square, that is stuck inside a little rubber protector and strapped to the radiator hose with a metal strap.  Don't remember if it was before or after the coil.  BUT!!! I do remember the $125.00 price tag from yamaha.  My parts supplier, (not a Yam dealer), said he had alot of trouble with aftermarket cdi's for yamaha and said I should bite the bullet and pay the Yam price.  Incidently I wasn't using restrictor spark plugs at the time.  The next year I lost the cdi in the Phazer.  I now use restrictor plugs religeously.  Don't know if that caused the problem, but I've heard non-restritors can wipe out an electrical system.  The cdi's not cheap but it sounds exactly like what mine did.  goin down the road, then all of sudden nothin....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts