Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cussing: I have a 96 600XCR single pipe (XLT) engine. This sled is a blast to ride once it is started. The sled has 2700 miles Fox shocks SLP Skis and 136X1.75 track. I live in Idaho and ride at between 6000 and 8000 feet most the time. This sled can be the most stuborn thing on earth to start. Some trips have involved over 40 minutes just to get it started. Once it is running it runs great we checked out the choke and simple stuff. I am fairly new to this sport, just bought our first sleds last winter. when you do start it you have to hold the throtle partway open if it doesn't start within the first 4 pulls. Problem is worse if temp is under 20. Took two hours to start it in yellowstone last winter when it was -27. Had to drain the cyclinders twice ( another guy had to help show me how to do this. In the sleds defense most everyone even the new sleds took more than 20 pulls to start that morning. The guy who helped us said something about the center carb gets out of sync on these sleds (96 XCR's) I don't have a lot to spend this year have to buy another sled (my wife totaled one of our sleds) I am going to buy at least a 700 and hopefully newer than 98. Any one who has had one of these sleds and knows how to fix this please help.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the started circuit (Pilot stage)

3 questions:

1. At closed throttle starting with chokes on, are the plugs WET or DRY after several pulls
2. Is compression OK
3. Is spark strong

these piston port triple should start in 1 or 2 pulls ALL THE TIME!

If spark is OK, and Compression is OK, then its a fuel delevery problem.

If your plugs are DRY after several closed throttle pulls with the choke on, you have some of the following things to check

- Pilot jets way be partially/fully obstructed
- Choke plunger is not lifting
- Choke circuit is partially obstructed

If your plugs are WET after several closed pulls (choke on), check the following

- Fuel inlet valve is not seating properly
- poor carb seal at float bowl
- pilot air circuit partially obstructed
- idle setting is too low.

I'm sure that you will pinpoint the problem by examining the plugs after a few pulls.

There should be NO reason on this model to have the throttle pulled to start this engine. All XCR's I have redone are amazingly easy starters. (In some cases unbelievably easy starting)

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have this exact sled and have seen the same problems. Check/Replace your needles and seats. This helped a lot! Easy to replace. Also take the boots off the carbs and check that they are all pulling at the same time. Last but not least, I've found it typically only happens after a pit stop for lunch, etc... If it dosen't start by the 2/3 rd pull, hold the throttle wide open. They are tempermental but sure fun. Hope it helps. ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had the exact opposite problem. It would start fine cold, but after riding for awhile and stopping it wouldn't start up right away. After synchronizing the carbs(w/ a cheap little gauge) and leaning out the idle mixture the problem went away.

My guess is it was a little too rich at start up and by me being a dummy and holding the trigger wide open I would flood it making the problem worse. Then I had to pull it until the crankcase cleared a little fuel out. Also, when I thought about it later I figured that excess fuel may have been dumped in because I was turning off the sled with the kill button instead of the key. So it being a little to rich to start along with using the kill button added up to be too much fuel for a quick restart. Just a guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you guys who have taken the time to help me out. I think I'm going to take it to a shop. Sounds to me like the problem is in carbs. I know the compression is good we had it checked when we bought it. I think one of the shops here will let me watch and learn. I will also be trying to find a manual for this sled. I have never worked on small engines before but I'm trying to learn. Thanks again. You don't happen to know the best source for a good manual? :hallo8:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Needles and seats could be the problem I agree. Do you shut off the fuel switch after you ride? Sometimes the fuel will actually syphon into the carbs and fill the crankcases depending where your fuel pump is mounted. In '95 the pumps were on the airbox but I believe yours it back down on the bellypan isn't it? Could also be the floats are not set right and they are letting gas through. I had a '95 XCR and it started with never more than 3 pulls,-10 or -40 didn't matter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i had one just like that, used to do the same thing. had the carbs adjusted and it fixed it. also used to smoke like you wouldnt believe when i started it if i left the fuel on while trailering it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts